Kohler harness to briggs engine wiring how-to?

Homer1

Threads
Ok, now's where I need my hero's to help me. I have decided to stick with a briggs commercial turf series engine for an an engine swap from a kohler command. Problem is I don't know exactly what to wire where. The mower it is going on is an early model Husqvarna 6127 which has some conflicting wiring diagrams available online.

The command had a built-in solenoid on the starter, so I know I will need a starter solenoid installed for the briggs. The issue I see is how exactly to wire it to my ZTR harness. The harness coming from the mower has an additional added section of harness between 2 plugs which feels as if it has a resistor or something as well under the conduit.

There are 3 wires coming from the mower harness into the first plug, white, grey, and a blue/vioiet. They go into a plug that only contains 2 wires, a blue and white. At the end of that plug they emerge as 3 wires, white, blue, and red.. It feel's like there is a resistor or something here in this black conduit, or something big just before the wires come out to the last plug which mounted to the kohler engine.

Alone there is a single yellow wire (which went to the starter solenoid on the kohler, likely the starter engaging wire), and a red wire which was connected to the starter along with the large battery cable which ran to the positive side of the solenoid.

The briggs engine has a harness which has a looped or jumped red wire, another red wire, a white wire, and a black wire.

I have no idea what I need to do to get them compatible, and before i order this engine, I want to make sure it's doable and that I have a plan.

I have searched and searched for articles or something online to aid me in making the swap, but alas found nothing.

Sure could use some support or a drawn up how-to showing me how best to connect this system, and answer as to whether or not I even need the 2nd inline plug with the resistor? inside.

Attached are photos of the engine I am planning on using, and the harnesses from my old mower for comparison.

Thanks!

briggswiring.jpgIMG_6065.jpgIMG_6064.jpgIMG_6062.jpgIMG_6059.jpg

Homer1

Threads
Just got an e-mail back from briggs, they won't even e-mail me the engine wiring functions on a diagram, said to contact my local dealer.. Jesus.

I gotta figure this wiring out or I am dead in the water.

Update : Found link to engine harness on mower.. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...4-09/wiring-diagram-console-harness-schematic

Still can't figure out what's what. Due to the harness I was using, I am lost.

Pretty sure I know how to wire the solenoid correctly, just not sure how to wire briggs wiring into the main harness so it will charge / kill effectively.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just got an e-mail back from briggs, they won't even e-mail me the engine wiring functions on a diagram, said to contact my local dealer.. Jesus.

I gotta figure this wiring out or I am dead in the water.

Update : Found link to engine harness on mower.. https://www.jackssmallengines.com/j...4-09/wiring-diagram-console-harness-schematic

Still can't figure out what's what. Due to the harness I was using, I am lost.

Pretty sure I know how to wire the solenoid correctly, just not sure how to wire briggs wiring into the main harness so it will charge / kill effectively.

Where did you get the Briggs engine from ?
To make the engines cheaper Briggs fit a lot of different alternators to their engines so if it came from a walk behind with a mechanical clutch you will need to upgrade the alternator to run your electric PTO
Wiring harness are not hard, take the blower housing off and see where the wires go to
The magneto is right there in front of your eyes, so the kill wire will be obvious.
The one or two wires going to the carb solenoid will also be obvious.
The wires coming out from under the flywheel will be the alternator wires and if there is a wire spliced into the magneto kill wires that will be the low oil cut out if fitted.
If the wires coming from the alternator are the same colour they are AC feed to the rectifier, if they are different colours then you will need an alternator upgrade as one will be unregulated pulsed DC for battery recharging and the other ( usually thinner ) is an AC feed for the headlamps.
Briggs do a book called the repower guide, google it.
In there is a list of all the different alternators and how to work out what they are. Am not sure if if a new version covering the new engines is out yet.
Most ZTR's are running 15A to 25A alternators.
The Briggs Power Portal should have all the info you need and Briggs could very well have a plug kit to fit their engine into your mower

Homer1

Threads
Thanks for the diagram. I think I have it figured out now.

All I needed was to identify the wires on the briggs plug itself, white, red, and black, and their function. Then figure out where to attach them to my factory mower. I doubt being about 10 years old Briggs will have an adapter plug, but I guess It's possible. My plan is to just cut and hand splice the 3 wires I need, then heat shrink them and move on. After all, I just need a charge and kill wire, and fuel shut off solenoid. Shouldn't be that bad.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the diagram. I think I have it figured out now.

All I needed was to identify the wires on the briggs plug itself, white, red, and black, and their function. Then figure out where to attach them to my factory mower. I doubt being about 10 years old Briggs will have an adapter plug, but I guess It's possible. My plan is to just cut and hand splice the 3 wires I need, then heat shrink them and move on. After all, I just need a charge and kill wire, and fuel shut off solenoid. Shouldn't be that bad.

So what is preventing you from removing the blower housing then tracing the wires ?
the colour & function of the wires will vary depending upon which alternator is fitted.
briggs use a code of wire colours, plug colours and plug shapes so their different alternators can be identified without pulling the flywheel off.
You are talking about red, black & white wires on a briggs but showing us photos of blue white & grey wires for the kohler, so no one can help you because we would just be guessing.
And as a guess the alternator you have is too small, but you seem to insist to ignore the help we are trying to give you.
You will need to google Briggs Alternator Identification Chart and download the diagrams.
Then check the power draw or your mower or alternatively check the specification of the old mower for the alternator output.

If you end up plugging a AC lights wire into a DC power circuit you will stuff you battery any relays in the circuit and perhaps a few switches to boot.
AFAIK All Kohers since the introduction of the Courage / Command range came with a rectifier regulator as standard where as Briggs are still making engines with unregulated power supply and AC feed to the head lights .
Other use a simple diode ad supply pulsed DC and that will stuff the clutch.

Homer1

Threads
I'm pretty sure I'm fine on the wiring as I had help from another forum as well. The engine I am ordering matches the Kohler in DC current and is regulated with use of the regulator. I will not need AC current for anything. If I ever add lights they will be D.C.

The wires on the Husqvarna side are the purple and blue wires, I just needed to match them to the Briggs because it's not a perfect world and wire colors aren't universal.

In other words, I should be fine. Thanks.