Honda gcv160, crankshaft replacement, missing thrust washer?

dustflo

Threads
  • / Honda gcv160, crankshaft replacement, missing thrust washer?
I am repairing my Honda push mower, gcv160 engine, model number HRR2168vka. I bent the crankshaft hitting a stump and have everything torn apart and just got the old crankshaft off.

After watching multiple gcv160 engine disassembly and reassembly videos on YouTube, there seems to be a thrust washer that goes on top of the crankshaft on top of the timing belt ( Honda Genuine OEM Part #90402-ZL8-000) When I opened my crankcase im 99.9% sure I did NOT have this crankshaft thrust washer.

Not sure if it was not installed by mistake by the factory or it flew off when i opened the crankcase or my model just doesn't need one. I'd hate to put everything back together and have it fail because of a tiny washer, and I'd hate to have to wait another week to get the thrust washer in from ordering it online if I don't actually need it. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANK YOU!!

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the model number that you posted is either incorrect or not complete. Also if possible post the other numbers from the mower model tag. format of XXXX-XXXXXXX

dustflo

Threads
Model: HRR2168VKA
Serial NO: MZCG-8641335

dustflo

Threads
Another reason I ask is that the NEW gear that came with my NEW crankshaft that attaches and spins the timing belt is PLASTIC, not a metal gear like the OEM. If you go to partstree dot com and type in part # 06131-Z8B-W00, choose the honda one that's $33, you'll see what I'm working with. Is the thrust washer only there so the old OEM METAL gear would not eat into the case and would just spin on the metal thrust washer and not the case?? So now that I have a plastic gear can i get away with no thrust washer??

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
After digging through the Honda dealer site, and checking numbers it appears that you have the old crankshaft used on units with serial engine serial number below 180xxxx, that crankshaft has been replaced with the crank that was used on higher serial numbers. the higher numbers don't use the thrust washer that your crank used. I would say that you don't need the washer with the new crank, and would almost bet that the engine sump won't fit correctly if you installed the washer.

dustflo

Threads
Interesting! Another thought just crossed my mind, you don't think the new plastic gear would get eaten buy the metal case??

I bought the washer anyways, should be a couple days until I get it. Guess I could close the crankcase without it, see how it fits, then try it with the washer on, and check the fit again.

Aye this is killing me...lol.

dustflo

Threads
Bump

dustflo

Threads
ILENGINE can you share where you found that info so I can do some digging as well?

dustflo

Threads
http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment?aribrand=HONPE#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K8-VKAA

So take a look at this. Item 1 is perhaps the old crankshaft that came with the thrust washer. But item 3 and 4, which looks like what I bought and have now as the replacement crankshaft, does not need the thrust washer???

This still doesn't explain why when I originally opened my crankcase there NO thrust washer. (99.9% sure)

Again my mower stats...
MZCG: 8641335

dustflo

Threads
http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment?aribrand=HONPE#/browse/lm/hrr/hrr216/HRR216K8-VKAA

So take a look at this. Item 1 is perhaps the old crankshaft that came with the thrust washer. But item 3 and 4, which looks like what I bought and have now as the replacement crankshaft, does not need the thrust washer???

This still doesn't explain why when I originally opened my crankcase there NO thrust washer. (99.9% sure)

Again my mower stats...
MZCG: 8641335

Sorry, click on "CRANKSHAFT" after you click on the link