Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumble"

Mark Hartline

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumble"
Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumble"

I have a Cub cadet Model 2135. Serial # 000335565. It has a Kohler Command OHV. Family #SKH398U 1GZRA, Model # CH13S, Spec#22508, Serial#2534909854, Disp.#398.

The Ignition Module on the mower went bad, no spark. Replaced with K012 584 04 -S ignition module. Set gap per service manual TP-2402-A. Final gap setting is 0.012 in. Now engine starts normal and runs normal. After running for approx. 1 to 2 hours the engine will start to misfire. Sometimes it will stop running sometimes it will continue to run and straighten out. After this occurs and you shut the mower off, it will not restart. Fins for the engine cooling are clean. Fuel filter and air cleaner are new. Spark plug is new. Tried with another new spark plug and the problem is still there. When this occurs I pulled the plug and checked for spark. There is spark. With air filter removed I turned engine over and fuel spills from carb. I'm wondering if I've got a defective new module or another problem. Hoping someone might have an answer or be able to lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumble"
Re: Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumbl

If you still have spark while the engine is in a no start situation I would be looking at other causes and not ignition.

Rocky J

Threads
Re: Kohler CH13S . After mowing for awhile, the engine starts to misfire or "stumbl

I have a Cub cadet Model 2135. Serial # 000335565. It has a Kohler Command OHV. Family #SKH398U 1GZRA, Model # CH13S, Spec#22508, Serial#2534909854, Disp.#398.

The Ignition Module on the mower went bad, no spark. Replaced with K012 584 04 -S ignition module. Set gap per service manual TP-2402-A. Final gap setting is 0.012 in. Now engine starts normal and runs normal. After running for approx. 1 to 2 hours the engine will start to misfire. Sometimes it will stop running sometimes it will continue to run and straighten out. After this occurs and you shut the mower off, it will not restart. Fins for the engine cooling are clean. Fuel filter and air cleaner are new. Spark plug is new. Tried with another new spark plug and the problem is still there. When this occurs I pulled the plug and checked for spark. There is spark. With air filter removed I turned engine over and fuel spills from carb. I'm wondering if I've got a defective new module or another problem. Hoping someone might have an answer or be able to lead me in the right direction. Thanks.
Maybe one of the safety switches , the seat switch thinks you fell off, the reverse switch think you are trying to back up with mower engaged, unplug the wire on the module, see if it still acts up, the key will not shut it off after unplugging that wire so be prepared to pull spark plug wire. This will tell you if it is a safety switch, or ignition switch going bad.

Mark Hartline

Forum Newbie
Threads

Thanks for your help. Will try both ideas.