Trying to determine engine type on a GXV140

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

About to try and order some parts for the engine on my HR215SXA (MZAM-6115748 SXA). I can easily find the serial number on the back of the engine (GJAB-6210905), and the Honda GXV140 emblem on the side, but I cannot find the type code. Isn't it supposed to be near the serial number? Should the characters be the same size as the serial number?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,

About to try and order some parts for the engine on my HR215SXA (MZAM-6115748 SXA). I can easily find the serial number on the back of the engine (GJAB-6210905), and the Honda GXV140 emblem on the side, but I cannot find the type code. Isn't it supposed to be near the serial number? Should the characters be the same size as the serial number?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

There is no type code for Honda mower engines. Only loose, general purpose engines have a type code.

You should be able to look-up any/all parts from the MOWER serial number. What are you trying to find?

Here's a link to the catalog:

http://peparts.honda.com/powerequipment#/browse/lm/hr/hr215/HR215-SXA

Tip: once you have the part number(s), Google them to find a dealer selling online.

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the clarification! I had seen GXV140 parts listed by type numbers like NT2B or A1K and just wanted to be sure.

As far as what parts, I don't have it torn down far enough to know for sure. Started smoking heavily this summer. The compression is in the pits. Also figure it will need valve guides. Just have to get it completely apart and see what the situation is.

Ordered the full shop manual to help me be sure and cover all the bases. Is there a sticky or thread that gives a good walk-through on a GXV140 rebuild?

Again, I very much appreciate the fast response and the information. If I get stumped, I'll be back for more wisdom :smile:

jp1961

Threads
Due to the compression release feature on Honda lawnmower engines, you have to remove the exhaust pushrod to get an accurate compression reading, here is a youtube vid on how to do it.https://youtu.be/QVxsd_UD0TQ

The book "Small air-cooled engines" by Intertec contains a lot of info on the GXV140.

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00097 (41).jpg
    DSC00097 (41).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00098 (17).jpg
    DSC00098 (17).jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 12

Highmaster2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the additional info. Ordered the book. Will definitely look at the video.