Fuel octane and type of 2 - cycle oil

PistolPete96

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2 cycle lawn boy mower. Deck model #7265 and the engine is a Scamp Lawn Boy engine. It has a carburetor off of my dad's 10301 lawnboy. Really want this one to last without the needle bearings on the crankk going bad. What do octane should I be using? And which oil brand?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Run the lowest octane you can get unless the manufacturer says otherwise.

I have two chainsaws, one mower and one trimmer. Only the trimmer is supposed to have higher octane fuel.

Any good 2-cycle oil will work. Run it at the mfg's recommended ratio, not more.

lewb

Threads
87 non ethanol if you can find it or you can use a conditioner to help the issues with alcohol in older equipment, I would just mix at 32 to 1 with basically any 2-stroke oil. A synthetic is not going to build up in the exhaust port and foul the plug that tends to happen with conventional oils.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
87 non ethanol if you can find it or you can use a conditioner to help the issues with alcohol in older equipment, I would just mix at 32 to 1 with basically any 2-stroke oil. A synthetic is not going to build up in the exhaust port and foul the plug that tends to happen with conventional oils.

I see YOU know your stuff ! Every 2 cycle engine I have screams like a Banshee, and never smokes either, ( my biggest complaint) It does scare the hell out of guys when you say I mix 100 to 1 ratio, ( actually I use 1.4 oz. Opti-2 to a correctly measured Gallon of gas ) a little safety factor (for me) ..:thumbsup:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no safety factor in mixing more that the specified amount of oil in two-cycle gas. There is a downside--that extra oil forms carbon inside the engine, from the combustion chamber all the way out the exhaust.

I have yet to see a manufacturer recommend a 100:1 mix but 50:1 is common and works just fine IF that's what the mfg specifies.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is no safety factor in mixing more that the specified amount of oil in two-cycle gas. There is a downside--that extra oil forms carbon inside the engine, from the combustion chamber all the way out the exhaust.

I have yet to see a manufacturer recommend a 100:1 mix but 50:1 is common and works just fine IF that's what the mfg specifies.

I refuse to argue with ignorance, LIKE I SAID .... NEVER a problem , don't knock it till you've tried it !

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ignorance? I recommend that a person do what the book (written by the engineers who designed the engine) says and I'm the ignorant one?

PistolPete96

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you all for the advice! I'll give the synthetic oil a try! And I can get 87 octane but it has that ethanol crap in it :( I was wondering if anyone has used Sta-bil before? My uncle uses the red stuff for his boat and I was wondering if the blue stuff would be worth giving a try? Again, I appreciate everyone's advice :smile: