wrong part again!

snapchet

Threads
Ordered a short axle for my Snapper RER series 3,...perfect fit....a few weeks later ordered a short axle for my series 1....no go, wouldn't mesh properly. After counting teeth I find 24 teeth on the old part, and 23 teeth on the new part...NOW what to do I have no idea what a 24 tooth p/n is,...maybe even obsolete....please help!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Snapper made many, many, many, RER mowers besides yours ! WE cant help YOU if we don't have your machines information ! ....... see example :

GET INFO.JPG

cashman

Threads
Snapper made a change to those gears in 1977 because of a wear problem they were having. They reduced the teeth by one tooth to help beef up the gears on the long and short axels. Late 1977 and later production RER's had the 23 tooth gears. Snapper put out a service bulletin on that. You use to could buy the long and short axels in a kit, but I haven't seen the kit listed for a long time. At least since Simplicity and Briggs bought them out.

snapchet

Threads
thanks,...good info,...I figured mine was about a 74.....anyone want to buy a 23 tooth short axle...lol.

snapchet

Threads
I just used the old tore-up short axle over again. Anyone ever thought of just putting a couple spot welds (axle to hub) and the heck with it,...the next time years from now the next guy can just grind it away to pull the hub.

Psychlopath

Threads
Snapper made a change to those gears in 1977 because...

Do you have a source for this? I've always been interested in the way that companies revise their products to reduce customer complaints and save money. Short of contacting the historical section of some very large companies, I've had a hard time tracing changes and why the changes were made.

Snapper doesn't seem to have a staff devoted to keeping track of their history like Dodge, GM and Ford does.