Bad battery or charging system problem? CV25S type 69511

Bleach

Threads
  • / Bad battery or charging system problem? CV25S type 69511
New problem. My engine goes dead soon after starting it. The 9 year old battery goes dead but will take a charge enough to start again but the engine dies quickly. I tried to take a voltage reading while running and the voltage drops quickly. I'm not familiar with the charging systems in these mower engine. I know a car will run with a bad battery after being jumped and I've jumped the battery before on this thing and it kept running before. I can't recall if I've ever had an alternator go bad on any car I've owned over the years.
Yesterday when it died when mowing the battery seemed like it was boiling when it happened. Does the charging system go crazy before it dies? Is there any component that can be tested without needing the engine to be running?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
C,MON Bleach .... fork over the $20.00 for a new Walmart battery already, you're so "chincy" you squeeze a nickle so hard, you make the poor buffalo schitt!! ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

Bleach

Threads
I'd buy a new battery if I knew for sure that was the problem. While it was running I would think it would show it was charging even if the battery was weak. I'm trying to find my engine manual to see if there is something in the charging system I need to test.
Yes, you are right. I am cheap. I also make my own copper wire from pennies.:laughing:

Honda Tech

Threads
New problem. My engine goes dead soon after starting it. The 9 year old battery goes dead but will take a charge enough to start again but the engine dies quickly. I tried to take a voltage reading while running and the voltage drops quickly. I'm not familiar with the charging systems in these mower engine. I know a car will run with a bad battery after being jumped and I've jumped the battery before on this thing and it kept running before. I can't recall if I've ever had an alternator go bad on any car I've owned over the years.
Yesterday when it died when mowing the battery seemed like it was boiling when it happened. Does the charging system go crazy before it dies? Is there any component that can be tested without needing the engine to be running?

The Kohler Regulator/Rectifier will not charge a battery that drops below 11 volts. If your battery voltage drops that quick, you have a short in the battery. No fixin' it, just have to replace it. Also, when you do manage to start it, it dies soon after because the battery can not supply enough voltage to the fuel solenoid and it closes off your fuel supply to the carburetor.

So, as noted previously, the first step is to purchase a NEW battery.

Bleach

Threads
Honda Tech, your explanation makes sense. Even the Kohler manual doesn't explain it that simply. I hooked up the charger again and the ampmeter on it pegged and then fluctuated wildly. It's time to go get another battery.
Walmart $20 really?

Bleach

Threads
OK, I found the $20 battery at Walmart. It might be a bit small for my engine. My old battery is 340 cca and the one from Walmart is only 230 cca. I have to check my books to see if this is enough.
EDIT: It needs to be a minimum of 280 cca.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Make sure you use a sealed battery and by prefference an AGM and PVR battery.
Mower batteries cop it tough.
The regulators/ Recti-fryers are crude and the mower has almost no suspension so batteries tend to boil ( open top batteries ) or mechanically self destruct.
Thus you need a battery with thicker grid plates, better supported.

Car batteries ( except 4 WD ) usually crap out .

Bleach

Threads
Neither battery this tractor had was a sealed battery. The first one was the one that came with it and it lasted over 10 years. The one I'm replacing is the second one and it lasted 9 years. Both were DieHard's though that might not make much difference since all batteries are probably made by the same manufacturer. I guess I've been lucky with both of them. The first one died without any of the excitement the second one did.
I don't think any of the U1R batteries I've searched were sealed or AGM's. Sorry but I don't know what a PVR battery is.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just replaced the battery in my 46" Murray with the 275A. ( I believe) at the end of Feb. WALMART ... $30.00 I have the 21 HP Briggs twin eng, it spins it like a top, When it first died I went to using the (230) A. ..?? out of my 42" Murray with a 17.5 HP Briggs which I had down for maint. THAT also works GREAT ! Over time I found, adding an "extra" ground wire to my start solenoid body ( 3 term. solenoid ) for a better ground has made a great improvement in starting. The secret (I believe) is good CLEAN & SECURE cables/connections. The choice of battery is your's of course, but ALWAYS check your cables as routine maintenance . Here in Florida IF ya get 3 years out of a battery, .. you're schittin in tall cotton ! ..:thumbsup:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Replacing a 340 CCA battery with a 230 CCA is not something I would advise. Won't get into electrical why, but engine will not turn as fast (harder to start) starter will have shorter life (working harder) and you'll be lucky to get 2 years out of it.