Scott's (John Deere).... solenoids, solenoids,solenoids.... grrrr

Bw5then

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scott's (John Deere).... solenoids, solenoids,solenoids.... grrrr
I have a Scott's built by John Deere 2554S with a 23hp Koehler. I have put 5 solenoids on this mower since last year. It runs great but, every month or so it will not start, it doesn't do anything, change the solenoid and its fine for a while. I have changed the seat switch and the pedal switch. Those didn't help. Traced the wires down looking for a short... can't find anything else.
When it's working, I can turn the key, the engine will turn over and stop (almost like the compression stops it), let go of the key and hit it again and it spins over and starts every time.
Would love to get some ideas on this. It's driving me nuts!!!!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Try checking your battery cables ( BOTH ends ) and the ground cable in particular ! Add an "extra" ground wire from the solenoid to good clean area of the frame or engine block.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the grounds on the starter, solenoid, engine mounts and battery to chassis. Make sure all are very clean and tight. Common problem with this tractor/engine combo.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Scott's built by John Deere 2554S with a 23hp Koehler. I have put 5 solenoids on this mower since last year. It runs great but, every month or so it will not start, it doesn't do anything, change the solenoid and its fine for a while. I have changed the seat switch and the pedal switch. Those didn't help. Traced the wires down looking for a short... can't find anything else.
When it's working, I can turn the key, the engine will turn over and stop (almost like the compression stops it), let go of the key and hit it again and it spins over and starts every time.
Would love to get some ideas on this. It's driving me nuts!!!!

This is exactly what happens when the valve lash has gotten too big and the decompression is not working.
The starters fitted to domestic ride ons is not strong enough to overcome good compression.
This is done deliberately to prevent damage to the engine when trying to crank a hydro locked engine.

Now you could just adjust the valve lash which will take 1 to 2 hours the first time. 5 minutes to do the job 115 minutes to remove all the silicon because you are a good mechanic and put a gasket in there to make it easy to check in the future. :thumbsup:

or you could follow the usual proceedure.:mur:
1) replace the starter :confused2:
2) Replace the battery :confused2:
3) replace all the power leads :confused2:
4) replace the solenoid :confused2:
5) replace the ignition switch :confused2:
6) replace the PTO switch :confused2:
7) replace the flywheel :confused2:
8) replace the alternator :confused2:
9) replace the rectifier :confused2:
10) take it to a shop :mad:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With all due respect Bert I understand what you are saying, but with his description I have my doubts. He say he turns the key, it spins and stops, but will spins the next time he turns the key. In my experience the engine will not spin again, past the compression stroke, unless you manually rotate it past compression or leave it sit for a period of time. Just changing the solenoid should not fix a compression problem for a short period of time. That's why I feel it's an electrical problem and said check grounds first. If all grounds are good, then go for valve lash.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I see exactly where you are coming from and do not disagree with it at all.
It could be one or both or loose engine mounting bolts making a bad ground or corrosion inside the terminal of one of the power leads.
We both know it is not the fault of the solenoid but the starter stalling out can be burning the contacts inside the solenoid if he holds the key on for long enough.
Part of the problem of diagnosing a problem over the net.
We don't know if he is holding the key on long enough for the starter to squeal and some compression to leak off or if he is doing this rapid fire or if the original stall out is just a weak starter hanging on the valve compression.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wish we could turn the Hubble telescope this way to see what's going on. Guess we'll just just have to use our ESP.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert I cherish this " primer "

or you could follow the usual proceedure.
1) replace the starter
2) Replace the battery
3) replace all the power leads
4) replace the solenoid
5) replace the ignition switch
6) replace the PTO switch
7) replace the flywheel
8) replace the alternator
9) replace the rectifier
10) take it to a shop

AND .. you and Rivets should team-up more often !!

Bw5then

Forum Newbie
Threads
I really appreciate everyone's help. Gonna start with all of the ground connections and go from there.