Overgrown

RooWalk

Threads
Due to one thing and another, including machine failure and repair ... I have a back yard (well, it actually belongs to the dogs) that is overgrown. Not just tall ... I can practically hide the horses back there!! No one to blame, I've done this to myself. This yard does not need to be anything more than neat. I have no desire to landscape it.
I don't want to break the freshly repaired mower, and I cannot get the tractor back there ... what are the options? By hand with the weed whacker? It is a BIG yard.
Thanks!!
Anne

Bleach

Threads
I've had this happen and I would start by using the highest deck setting to mow and reduce the height on each subsequent pass. Make sure you start with very sharp blades and have extras to swap in as needed.

primerbulb120

Threads
You might break your weed eater trying to mow it as well. I'd recommend renting a brush mower for the first cut and using your mower to maintain it after you've got it under control.

Homer1

Threads
Could snag a used push mower too, which will take some time, but there are tons out there as cheap as 30 bucks. If it blows up, your only out about what a rental fee would be. Craigs list, newspaper, mower shops would be a good start for that option.

RooWalk

Threads
You might break your weed eater trying to mow it as well. I'd recommend renting a brush mower for the first cut and using your mower to maintain it after you've got it under control.

Brush mower?

Rentals are few and far between here ... rural OK :)

Push mower might be attainable, but how would it be useful with 3 to 5 foot grass?

Thinking dissembling the side porch to get the tractor/brush hog in may yet have to happen :-(

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could call in a land clearing/landscape outfit for the initial cutting, get an estimate from a few places, THEN it's up to you to keep it under control.