I want to become a dealer

brian.moon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

I am interested in becoming a dealer and selling outdoor power equipment. Any suggestions on brand/ manufacturer? I have my opinions on what I like when it comes to performance and longevity, but I am not to familiar with dealing with the manufacturer. Any suggestions on a good manufacture that is good to work with and at the same time have a good product? Thank You for your time.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the major companies will require you to have many thousands worth of their stock on your floor.
Spartan are new kids on the block so I would be looking there.
Start with the one brand and add on as you go to suit what your customers ask for.
Small companies will treat you a lot better than big companies and having a brand that is not stocked by glass fronts will make your life a lot easier.
Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary and who ever else does after market parts.
None of them will demand you hold $10,000 of their goods as min holding stock so you can fill your showroom with all of the add ons for very little outlay
Walking into a shop with posters all over the wall does not make customer feel confident.
Walking into a shop with 300 belts hanging on one wall , 50 blades on another wall, fuel cans, trimmer line chains and bars on another makes it look like you are solid and know what your are talking about.

cashman

Threads
Look at who will be your competition and see what brands they are selling. Most likely if they are independent dealers, they have a commercial line of mowers they sell which is almost required in a lot of markets today. But that depends on the market. Your area might have a large homeowner base and you might base what you sell on that. It all depends. No two markets are the same. If and when you decide on a brand to sell, don't let them overload your financial ability on floor plans which has put a lot of new dealers out of business. Also you need good help with everyone moving in the same direction and on the same page with what you want to do. It's best to start small and grow from there. Also a lot more than selling and working on mowers. Taxes, overhead, salaries, and a whole bunch of other expenditures can crop up. I was in the business for over 50 years on both sides of the counter and I found it to be a well rewarding career. Good luck!

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
would be easier and more profitable to purchase an established location and build on it's platform............I know here in new jersey, too many of the small mom/pop establishments fall to the wayside and or soon absorbed by the majority.......good luck