B&S engine with auto choke on a John Deere JS28 push mower won't start

Trebin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S engine with auto choke on a John Deere JS28 push mower won't start
Mower is like new. Got it started this year and ran fine. Next time I tried to start it it hit for a couple seconds then died. Doesn't even try to start now when pulled. Took apart and checked springs on autochock and cleaned carb bowl. It was like new. Put together and it hit on first pull but didn't start. Doesn't even hit now. I'm missing something I guess. Any ideas? Thanks. Tim

Threads
Try this first take the bowl nut off which is the main jet. There are 3 holes in it. One on top that goes down to the 2 holes on the sides. Take a paper clip and poke thru the holes and spray with carb cleaner.

Get back with us ............

Threads
That is not the only factor in your problem though. If that fixes it well that's the easy fix.

Ethanol gas can effect your seat so much that it swells up and holds your float at the wrong level. E gas is bad on all small engines. No matter if it's a saw, trimmer or mower........

That O ring behind the carb might be bad also from drying out causing too much air going in the intake tube.

Your choke is supposed to be closed when the mower is cold. Loosen the 5/16 screw on the filter cover and take the filter out. Inspect that and make sure it is not oil soaked or very dirty.

This year I broke out one of my mowers and it ran fine like yours did. A week later I had to clean the bowl nut. I emptied my tank and cleaned it. Yep trash in the tank >>>>>>>>>>>>

If the jet is clean then squirt gas in the carb with a squirt bottle or other way. I use a old BBQ starter fluid bottle that I put gas in and it can squirt sideways. Try to start it and if it pops and run for a second or two then dies then you have a carb or fuel line issue.

Hope this helps Mon Ami >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Trebin

Forum Newbie
Threads
:thumbdown::thumbdown:Ok. I made sure the jets were clean. I emptied the gas and bought a quart of toro jet fuel for 4 cycle engines. Still not even trying to start. Almost like a safety switch is stoping it from firing. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a new plug. I'm at a lose.

Threads
If you think it is a spark problem and you put a new plug in, and still no spark then you have a KILL brake cable issue or a bad coil.

If your brake/kill cable is not doing it's job by traveling the whole distance and opening the safety switch, then you are not going to have spark.

One more way to make sure is to take the BLACK wire from under the mag coil OFF. It is a spade type plug. That will disable the safety feature.

You will need to take the air shroud off to do that. Or take the BLACK wire off of the brake switch. Sometimes that does not work though. If the wire has a break in it it will ground to the block and act like a kill switch.......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Trebin

Forum Newbie
Threads
New plug did the trick. Runs great. Old plug was firing but must not of been hot enough. Thanks for the support. Tim:thumbsup: