Chute Blocker - pros and cons

Ahalachis

Threads
I read and watched a lot of info on the Gravely Chute Blocker and am trying to deside if I am going to put one on my mower, 2017 ZT HD 52. First off I am having a lot of success with mowing with an open chute. In the past I used to bag my clippings but I really want to avoid doing that. I have three sets of blades that I am playing with ( stock, Gator G5 and Gator G6) all of them do a great job and each have minor differences in the end results.

My main reason for wanting to put a chute blocker on is that I have a pool and am getting a lot of clippings in the pool and my flower beds. So my thought is I would block the chute when mowing around/near the pool/beds and keep it open the rest of the time.

Anyone have experience using the Gravely chute blocker, when do you use it, pros/cons...

Any feedback would be helpful

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you mow with the chute aiming AWAY from the beds and pool, the clipping should be minimal I would think !

Ahalachis

Threads
If you mow with the chute aiming AWAY from the beds and pool, the clipping should be minimal I would think !

Yea that is what I thought too. But this thing really throws the clippings far and when I come back around it is getting grass in the pool and some of my beds are close enough that it doesn't matter which way I mow I am getting grass in the beds.

I am also thinking that the chute blocker may be helpful when doing leaf cleanup in the fall.

Homer1

Threads
I usually have to mow at least 2 strips away from a garden bed or pool before being able to turn around and come back the opposite direction, and sometimes i reduce my engine speed to slow the throw down a little, but the chutes do work, I have seen them. Not had any experience with the gravely yet, but there are other aftermarket versions I have seen.

Being able to operate it from the seat it a huge plus. In you situation, you might start by cutting outward, then lower the chute for the next stripe, maybe not completely but enough to direct the clippings no further than the first row.

From what I hear, folks that use them like them, but don't always use them. It's one of those things that if you don't have it, there are times you wished you did.

I've considered adding one myself, but haven't invested yet.

Ahalachis

Threads
I usually have to mow at least 2 strips away from a garden bed or pool before being able to turn around and come back the opposite direction, and sometimes i reduce my engine speed to slow the throw down a little, but the chutes do work, I have seen them. Not had any experience with the gravely yet, but there are other aftermarket versions I have seen.

Being able to operate it from the seat it a huge plus. In you situation, you might start by cutting outward, then lower the chute for the next stripe, maybe not completely but enough to direct the clippings no further than the first row.

From what I hear, folks that use them like them, but don't always use them. It's one of those things that if you don't have it, there are times you wished you did.

I've considered adding one myself, but haven't invested yet.

That is exactly what I am thinking. If I have it on there will be times that I can use it. And with it fully open it should be like it isn't there. That is what I am hoping. I am just curious what other people's experience has been when using it. Specifically when it is closed.

NealS

Threads
Not sure what a FACTORY chute blocker is like, but we built one, thinking it would mulch.
Just blocking the chute opening, on ours, caused it to leave a wind row under the right side. This could be cleared on the next pass, as long as we went in a clockwise direction.
While looking more into it, we discovered a short blocking plate, just above the right hand blade, from near blade center, to the chute exit. I suppose this was a direction blocking plate to make it throw out the chute. We removed this plate, then built a new plate (full deck height), to enclose the right hand blade from the front of the deck to the rear of the chute exit.
It appears this is going to work exceptionally well for mulching. We can now mow in any direction and not leave a wind row.

Ahalachis

Threads
Not sure what a FACTORY chute blocker is like, but we built one, thinking it would mulch.
Just blocking the chute opening, on ours, caused it to leave a wind row under the right side. This could be cleared on the next pass, as long as we went in a clockwise direction.
While looking more into it, we discovered a short blocking plate, just above the right hand blade, from near blade center, to the chute exit. I suppose this was a direction blocking plate to make it throw out the chute. We removed this plate, then built a new plate (full deck height), to enclose the right hand blade from the front of the deck to the rear of the chute exit.
It appears this is going to work exceptionally well for mulching. We can now mow in any direction and not leave a wind row.

Interesting. Was this on your ZT HD? I believe on the 2017 ZT HD the deck is a new design. I will climb under and take a look tomorow .
The Gravely chute blocker I am looking at is baiscly a steel plate with holes drilled through it. It can easily be raised and lowered without getting off the mower. Hopefully it won't leve a wind row when blocked. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I would be interested in seeing a pic of the one you built.

Mr. Ed

Threads
That is exactly what I am thinking. If I have it on there will be times that I can use it. And with it fully open it should be like it isn't there. That is what I am hoping. I am just curious what other people's experience has been when using it. Specifically when it is closed.

I have one on my ZT HD 48, and it works very well. The blocking plate has a lot of 1/4" holes, so some clippings will escape, but not enough to have to clean up. The lever is easy to operate from the seat. FYI, be sure to use loctite on the knob to keep it from coming loose. Assembly and mounting are easy, and a nice surprise is that the whole assembly is held on with a pin (at the rear of the deck, same as the discharge chute) and one bolt in the front. To swap back to the OEM chute is a one bolt operation if you wanted to do it. I haven't seen the need or benefit to do that yet, just wanted to let you know.

As for mulching, I think you'll have to lower the deck pretty close to the ground to trap leaves. One of the lawns I cut has a lot of dead leaves year round, and I cut it at 3". Most of the leaves escape out from under the deck without getting chopped up. I haven't tried lowering the deck to see where it works best as I don't want to kill off their lawn just yet. I'm using the original blades... mulching blades might help, too.

NealS

Threads
Interesting. Was this on your ZT HD? I believe on the 2017 ZT HD the deck is a new design. I will climb under and take a look tomorow .
The Gravely chute blocker I am looking at is baiscly a steel plate with holes drilled through it. It can easily be raised and lowered without getting off the mower. Hopefully it won't leve a wind row when blocked. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I would be interested in seeing a pic of the one you built.

We searched till we saw a picture of the Gravely chute blocker. Being able to raise and lower on the go would be fantastic. I would like to know if it leaves a wind row. If not, what makes the difference between it and mine?

I think ours is a 2017, but not sure. We purchased it July 2017. Serial # 004046. We will attempt to attach a pic of the mower. You will see some other mods we made, but have not taken a pic of the chute blocker yet. Will try to do so soon.

Attachments

• 0809171103.jpg
    0809171103.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 42

Ahalachis

Threads
We searched till we saw a picture of the Gravely chute blocker. Being able to raise and lower on the go would be fantastic. I would like to know if it leaves a wind row. If not, what makes the difference between it and mine?

I think ours is a 2017, but not sure. We purchased it July 2017. Serial # 004046. We will attempt to attach a pic of the mower. You will see some other mods we made, but have not taken a pic of the chute blocker yet. Will try to do so soon.

You have the same year as mine. Prior to 2017 the deck was hung with chains among other changes.
I like the mods you have made. The fan is the best.
I would really like to have the ROPS on mine but I don't think I am going to pay $500.00 to get the parts from Gravely.

I ordered the chute blocker. Should be here by the weekend. I am going to try it with the stock blades first.