Chute Blocker - pros and cons

Ahalachis

Threads
I have one on my ZT HD 48, and it works very well. The blocking plate has a lot of 1/4" holes, so some clippings will escape, but not enough to have to clean up. The lever is easy to operate from the seat. FYI, be sure to use loctite on the knob to keep it from coming loose. Assembly and mounting are easy, and a nice surprise is that the whole assembly is held on with a pin (at the rear of the deck, same as the discharge chute) and one bolt in the front. To swap back to the OEM chute is a one bolt operation if you wanted to do it. I haven't seen the need or benefit to do that yet, just wanted to let you know.

As for mulching, I think you'll have to lower the deck pretty close to the ground to trap leaves. One of the lawns I cut has a lot of dead leaves year round, and I cut it at 3". Most of the leaves escape out from under the deck without getting chopped up. I haven't tried lowering the deck to see where it works best as I don't want to kill off their lawn just yet. I'm using the original blades... mulching blades might help, too.

From what I have been able to tell from pics it looked like it was going to be easy to put on and off. I am glad that is actually the case. I am going to start with the original blades as well.
Do you notice if there is any additional build up under the deck after mowing?

Ahalachis

Threads
We searched till we saw a picture of the Gravely chute blocker. Being able to raise and lower on the go would be fantastic. I would like to know if it leaves a wind row. If not, what makes the difference between it and mine?

I think ours is a 2017, but not sure. We purchased it July 2017. Serial # 004046. We will attempt to attach a pic of the mower. You will see some other mods we made, but have not taken a pic of the chute blocker yet. Will try to do so soon.

Just noticed what looks like a socket on the left control arm. Is that a socket or a mod you made.
Looks like you do a lot of metal fabrication...I like the roof....

NealS

Threads
You have the same year as mine. Prior to 2017 the deck was hung with chains among other changes.
I like the mods you have made. The fan is the best.
I would really like to have the ROPS on mine but I don't think I am going to pay $500.00 to get the parts from Gravely.

I ordered the chute blocker. Should be here by the weekend. I am going to try it with the stock blades first.

Good to know that ours is a 2017.
We will be looking for your results after using your chute blocker. If good, would like to see some pics. Wonder if we could build one.

Wife was with me when shopping and suggested we needed the sun roof. Like you, we thought it was too high, but got me to thinking. We built it all out of the trash pile and left overs. I think the only thing we bought was a couple of bolts, 5' of 2"x3/16" sq tubing and one sheet 1/2" styrofoam.
The cover has 2 layers 1/2" styrofoam, plus 2" foil back fiberglass insulation.

We have already upgraded the $12.00 walmart fan with a used, free, radiator fan, which puts out probably 5 times as much air.

NealS

Threads
Just noticed what looks like a socket on the left control arm. Is that a socket or a mod you made.
Looks like you do a lot of metal fabrication...I like the roof....

I think what you are calling a socket, is a short piece of 1" pipe for a hand hold. We bolted one on each control arm, which becomes stationary when park brake is on. One side doesn't show well in pic.

I guess we should confess what they are for. You see, since we are 80 years old, we need something to push our self, up off the seat, when dismounting. :laughing:

Mr. Ed

Threads
From what I have been able to tell from pics it looked like it was going to be easy to put on and off. I am glad that is actually the case. I am going to start with the original blades as well.
Do you notice if there is any additional build up under the deck after mowing?

I imagine there would be a little more build up with the blocker down (especially in wet conditions), but I only use it sporadically and haven't experienced any problems. For me, it's just a handy tool to keep from blowing clippings into landscaping areas, and it does a terrific job of that. Overall it's a well designed accessory that performs as it should.

NealS

Threads
Interesting. Was this on your ZT HD? I believe on the 2017 ZT HD the deck is a new design. I will climb under and take a look tomorow .
The Gravely chute blocker I am looking at is baiscly a steel plate with holes drilled through it. It can easily be raised and lowered without getting off the mower. Hopefully it won't leve a wind row when blocked. That would be a deal breaker for me.
I would be interested in seeing a pic of the one you built.

Attached is a picture of the chute blocker we built. We are working on it in steps as we try to accomplish good end result.
1. Removed factory chute

2. Rusty steel is the Chute Blocker, installs just like the chute did.

3. Galv metal added to try block some of debris coming out the front edge.

4. Found and removed factory "discharge baffle" Parts->Section Anti Scalp wheels & Baffles 52"->Page 46->Item 5->Discharge Baffle->Part# 04389453

5. Added baffle (not shown in pic) around front and right side of right blade.

Actually, we think item 4 & 5 got us closer to our goal than anything else. We may have done both of them on a single try so not sure about one over the other.

Attachments

• 0816171451a.jpg
    0816171451a.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 37

Ahalachis

Threads
Attached is a picture of the chute blocker we built. We are working on it in steps as we try to accomplish good end result.
1. Removed factory chute

2. Rusty steel is the Chute Blocker, installs just like the chute did.

3. Galv metal added to try block some of debris coming out the front edge.

4. Found and removed factory "discharge baffle" Parts->Section Anti Scalp wheels & Baffles 52"->Page 46->Item 5->Discharge Baffle->Part# 04389453

5. Added baffle (not shown in pic) around front and right side of right blade.

Actually, we think item 4 & 5 got us closer to our goal than anything else. We may have done both of them on a single try so not sure about one over the other.

Well I am impressed. That is some nice fabrication.
Question, since steps 4 and 5 seemed to solve your wind line isssue have you thought about removing the galv metal you added in step 3?

Also, since both the ROPS/roof and the chute blocker seem very well built and look good on your mower do you have any plans to paint them Gravely red or black?

Ahalachis

Threads
I imagine there would be a little more build up with the blocker down (especially in wet conditions), but I only use it sporadically and haven't experienced any problems. For me, it's just a handy tool to keep from blowing clippings into landscaping areas, and it does a terrific job of that. Overall it's a well designed accessory that performs as it should.

That is my plan as well. I will put it down when near the pool and flower beds but will run with an open chute 80% of the time.
I am also looking forward to see how it can help with fall clean ups.

Ahalachis

Threads
Good to know that ours is a 2017.
We will be looking for your results after using your chute blocker. If good, would like to see some pics. Wonder if we could build one.

Wife was with me when shopping and suggested we needed the sun roof. Like you, we thought it was too high, but got me to thinking. We built it all out of the trash pile and left overs. I think the only thing we bought was a couple of bolts, 5' of 2"x3/16" sq tubing and one sheet 1/2" styrofoam.
The cover has 2 layers 1/2" styrofoam, plus 2" foil back fiberglass insulation.

We have already upgraded the $12.00 walmart fan with a used, free, radiator fan, which puts out probably 5 times as much air.

Yes I am looking forward to getting it on the mower. I leave for NC in two weeks for 6 weeks and want to get it on and try it out before I leave. Will defiantly take some pics of the chute blocker installed and of the lawn when in use.

Ahalachis

Threads
I think what you are calling a socket, is a short piece of 1" pipe for a hand hold. We bolted one on each control arm, which becomes stationary when park brake is on. One side doesn't show well in pic.

I guess we should confess what they are for. You see, since we are 80 years old, we need something to push our self, up off the seat, when dismounting. :laughing:

Not a bad idea. I must confess, some mornings when I want pease and quite I grab a cup of coffee and a news paper and sit on my mower in the garage. Those handles would help me get in and out easily