Blown Head Gasket?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I think you must mean 150 inch-pounds. Divide that by 12 and you get 12.5 ft-lb.

What you did wrong was that you applied far more than 12.5 ft-lb of torque.

How is what the question is. Head bolts are not flimsy; you have to actually work pretty hard at breaking one.

I put it right on 12.5 ft lbs. It didn't even feel like I was cranking them that tight.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
How long is your 3/8" click torque wrench? Mine is about 14" from center of square drive to center of grip. That would mean to apply 12.5 ft-lb of torque to a bolt, I'd have to push or pull on the handle with a little less than 11 pounds of force.

Does that seem to be about the same amount of force as you were applying to your torque wrench?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
How long is your 3/8" click torque wrench? Mine is about 14" from center of square drive to center of grip. That would mean to apply 12.5 ft-lb of torque to a bolt, I'd have to push or pull on the handle with a little less than 11 pounds of force.

Does that seem to be about the same amount of force as you were applying to your torque wrench?
Ill have to measure it but that seems about the right length. Not sure about the feel of it but It certainly didn't seem like much.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a vise, chuck the male end of a 3/8" extension in the vise. Put your torque wrench in the female end. Set the wrench on 12.5 ft-lb and see how hard you have to pull to make it click. Sometimes it's as much 'feeling' it click as it is hearing the click. Do the same thing with your beam torque wrench using a 1/2" extension. Compare the two.

FWIW, I'm not sure if my 3/8" clicker even goes down that low. I'll have to look at it tomorrow.