Electric start retro-fit

mudpie

Threads
I've got a Command Pro 13 on my mower, and I'm tired of pulling the rope. There's several mower repair people in my area advertising parts on craigslist, and they've obviously got a bunch of mowers lying around. If I wanted to add electric start to this motor, is it a simple process of bolting on a starter, battery, some wiring, and a switch? Or, do I need to change bigger parts, like the flywheel, or....I don't know.

I'm over my head on this. It seems simple to me, but that's usually when I get in trouble. Any thoughts appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does your engine have the mounting holes for the starter as well as the ring gear for the starter. Most likely you don't have a stator or regulator which may also mean you don't have the magnets on the inside of the flywheel for the charging system. If you don't mind charging the battery every so often, if it isn't critical for operation then you may not need the stator, or regulator.

mudpie

Threads
I'll dig a little deeper. Thanks for providing some direction. I would have just bolted stuff on and wondered why it didn't work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have put starters on stuff for pensioner widows ( got a lot in my run ) successfully without upgrading the alternators so they have to recharge the battery every time they mow , as they had chargers and don't have disposable incomes.
Downside is you only get 1/2 dozen starts out of the battery so they usually don't turn the mower off till they have finished.

mudpie

Threads
It' got the hole for the starter, and they're tapped. No ring gear though. I suppose I should look for a complete motor for parts, rather than trying to get the parts individually.

IMG_20170820_145033.jpg