Suzuki 2 stroke beater

jp1961

Threads
It's been a lean year on C.L. for Lawn-Boys, so I picked up this Toro with an early 47PZ2 (points not electronic ignition and no primer bulb on the air cleaner box)) Suzuki two stroke. No model number anywhere. Somebody fitted it with an aftermarket type electronic ignition (see pic).

The entire fuel system was beyond varnish, more like tar, but after cleaning the tank and carb, it fired up. Still has 100 psi compression.

The mower is in really rough shape, but I bought it (20$) more for parts than anything else (parts for these Suzuki engines are outrageously priced).

Regards

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC00100 (21).jpg
    DSC00100 (21).jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00101 (9).jpg
    DSC00101 (9).jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 29

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've got one, except side discharge. Bought it new in 1984. It still runs but has the 'Suzuki knock.' It's been doing it for years.

I keep thinking it will fly apart but it hasn't. For years, I ran it on 32:1 fuel, simply because that was an easy mix. Book calls for 50:1 and that's what it's gotten the last few years.

I wish they still sold this model because I'd buy a new one tomorrow.

22R

Threads
Where are you guys located ? I have one I need to get rid of. Fair shape but missing some intake box parts.

22R

22R

Threads
Where are you guys located ? I have one I need to get rid of. Fair shape but missing some intake box parts.

22R

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I live in Kansas, not far from Kansas City.

I'd be glad to take it off your hands but I imagine the freight would be far more than the mower is worth.

Don't junk it, though. The Suzuki powered Toros have value, running or not. There was one in running condition on KC craigslist, asking price $500. Don't know if it sold for that or not.

Dixieboy

Threads
Those Suzuki two stokes kicked lawnboys *** in power. I have run both on the dyno back when they came out. They made almost 2 HP more than a lawnboy. Anybody notice the similarity to the lawnboy top mount started, yep, that's where it came from.

22R

Threads
I got it a few years ago on a swap but I have three lawnboys and dont want to fool with it and in the way.. I may put it on craigslisr locally.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those Suzuki two stokes kicked lawnboys *** in power. I have run both on the dyno back when they came out. They made almost 2 HP more than a lawnboy. Anybody notice the similarity to the lawnboy top mount started, yep, that's where it came from.

That power difference sounds about right. I have one that I've used in areas where I mow only about once a month so the grass is high -- no problem for this beast. :thumbsup:

Here's another thread on these models in case anyone's interested.

A suggestion if you have one of these fine mowers: install an in-line fuel cutoff valve.

javjacob

Threads

Would that be compared to the Lawn Boy F series engine? How much power did they put out? I have always been curious since the HP ratings went from 3.5hp-5hp. The F series engines were extremely durable and reliable though. Compare the Suzuki to a Lawn Boy Duraforce and it would be different though.
What are you referring to by "top mount"?

Dixieboy

Threads
Lawnboy F-engines typically put out about 4 hp, some time a little more. The different configurations effected power like carb, muffler, muffler plate, how the ports were machined in the block, air filter, etc. I was referring to the recoil starter on the top of the lawnboys and Toro/Suzuki. Previous f-engines and older lawnboys had the old side mount starter. I hate the side mount, I adapted a Suzuki starter to a f-engine in about 1986 and then we developed it for the f-engine lawnboy. No kidding.