Bunch of oil from the PCV into carb

hrdman2luv

Threads
Just got this older (green) Craftsman, with an 18hp OHV briggs, 31P7770299E1 (has oil filter) Finally got it to crank. But man O man O man, when it did, it blew the PCV tube off the breather, and soaked the side of the engine and the front tire with oil.
I had checked to see if it had oil in it first, but didn't really look at the level. Well, it had too much in it. Way too much. Like an inch above the full mark. So, I sucked some if out, down to the right level, and cranked her up again. And It was still coming out like crazy.

Any other hints before I remove the head? I'm thinking it's a head gasket. But would like some feed back first.

Threads
Yes you a lot of pressure building up in the crankcase. Very well could be the gasket. Might as well dive into it.

Did the oil smell like gas or was thinner than normal ?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain the oil, refill with the correct amount and try again.

If the problem isn't resolved, THEN start looking for mechanical problems. Start by checking the crankcase ventilation system. I don't see how a blown head gasket can pressurize the crankcase.

hrdman2luv

Threads

If the problem isn't resolved, THEN start looking for mechanical problems. Start by checking the crankcase ventilation system. I don't see how a blown head gasket can pressurize the crankcase.

I removed the head. And the gasket, to me, didn't look too bad. It didn't look great. But I didn't see any breaks in it. The top of the valves weren't oil soaked. Which mean the rings aren't bad. Thanks goodness.
$10 for a new gasket. New oil and filters. Which it was going to get anyways.

The PCV wouldn't be stuck open, would it?

hrdman2luv

Threads
Yes you a lot of pressure building up in the crankcase. Very well could be the gasket. Might as well dive into it.

Did the oil smell like gas or was thinner than normal ?

I dove.

The oil had a little fuel smell to it. But mostly smelled like oil. But then again, I had some gas on my hands from trying to crank it.

Threads

A Blown head gasket will let compression into the valve rod valley and go straight into the crank causing pressure there and sometimes out of the carb..........

Threads
(But I didn't see any breaks in it. The top of the valves weren't oil soaked. Which mean the rings aren't bad. Thanks goodness.) Your post.

The break on those are on the block side of the gasket. It will be a very small area on the skinny part between the cylinder and valve rod valley. When you take the gasket off the block and turn it over there she be ~!~!

Remember to torque the head to specs.

hrdman2luv

Threads
(But I didn't see any breaks in it. The top of the valves weren't oil soaked. Which mean the rings aren't bad. Thanks goodness.) Your post.

The break on those are on the block side of the gasket. It will be a very small area on the skinny part between the cylinder and valve rod valley. When you take the gasket off the block and turn it over there she be ~!~!

Remember to torque the head to specs.

Yeah, that's the side I'm talking about. It didn't look good. That's for sure. But nothing like I was expecting. Oil was shooting out of the PCV tube like a foot, the first time I cranked it. So I was expecting a complete tear in it, with like a big gap. But then I pulled out enough oil to put the level at the right spot. And the amount coming out, was significantly reduced. But still coming out. There should only be air coming from that tube.

BTW, I've only had like two sips of coffee. At this point, I may not even be talking about the same mower. he he he he he (que a cute coffee smiley)

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got this older (green) Craftsman, with an 18hp OHV briggs, 31P7770299E1 (has oil filter) Finally got it to crank. But man O man O man, when it did, it blew the PCV tube off the breather, and soaked the side of the engine and the front tire with oil.
I had checked to see if it had oil in it first, but didn't really look at the level. Well, it had too much in it. Way too much. Like an inch above the full mark. So, I sucked some if out, down to the right level, and cranked her up again. And It was still coming out like crazy.

Any other hints before I remove the head? I'm thinking it's a head gasket. But would like some feed back first.
just this statement alone tells me it was not the head gasket that caused the oil to blow out the pcv........either there was fuel in the oil from a bad carb float or someone added too much oil or there was water from sitting outside mixed in. The piston with good rings just paddled through the excess oil and pressurized it.

hrdman2luv

Threads
just this statement alone tells me it was not the head gasket that caused the oil to blow out the pcv........either there was fuel in the oil from a bad carb float or someone added too much oil or there was water from sitting outside mixed in. The piston with good rings just paddled through the excess oil and pressurized it.

What chu talkin bout Willis :cool:? You mean I over did it? I Went too far? Done way more work than was necessary?

You're probably right.

Lying in bed last night, I was thinking about this. The first time the oil shot out of that tube, there was way too much oil in it. So I took just enough out. But, there was still oil in the tube, PCV etc etc. Which was probably clogging up that entire little PCV system. The 2nd time, it only ran for a few seconds. I'm thinking if I'd have let it run a little longer, it might have cleared up. I should've taken the tube off the carb, pointed it down into a drain pan and keep feeding gas to it, so it would've kept running.

Now, today is Sunday, and I can't get a gasket until tomorrow.