Transmission fan blade removal

Toto

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2007 Cub Cadet GT 1544 Series 1500 Lawn Tractor and need to replace the black plastic transmission fan as it was chewed up when the drive belt failed, how do I hold the pully in place to get the nut off so I can install the new fan?
Thanks TOTO. :confused3:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toto, are you still in Kansas? Recently I removed a fan from a Husqy rider transmission shaft. Don't know your model, but after trying a 2 point spanner wrench inserted into the fan hub holes and having the wrench jump out while trying to unscrew the retaining nut I went to a "strap wrench" on the pulley. It did not work. Finally ....fasten a vice grip GENTLY" onto the bottom lip of the pulley such that the vice grip abuts part of the transmission casting. The nylok nut then unscrewed easily. The "gently" part is to avoid bending the pulley.

cruzenmike

Threads
I just used my impact wrench with a long extension. The size of the nut was maybe 3/4 or 15/16? Fan and but went back on the same way.

Toto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Toto, are you still in Kansas? Recently I removed a fan from a Husqy rider transmission shaft. Don't know your model, but after trying a 2 point spanner wrench inserted into the fan hub holes and having the wrench jump out while trying to unscrew the retaining nut I went to a "strap wrench" on the pulley. It did not work. Finally ....fasten a vice grip GENTLY" onto the bottom lip of the pulley such that the vice grip abuts part of the transmission casting. The nylok nut then unscrewed easily. The "gently" part is to avoid bending the pulley.

Used the vice grip but bent the pully but that's okay ordered another one, the old one looks worn so it might be better in the long run, still cheaper than bringing it in for professional service!

Thank you Motoman!

TOTO.

Toto

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just used my impact wrench with a long extension. The size of the nut was maybe 3/4 or 15/16? Fan and but went back on the same way.

Yes I was thinking about doing it that way as I saw someone use that method on YouTube but the gas tank is directly above and a good bit of disassembly was required to go that route.

Thanks cruzenmike!

TOTO.

cruzenmike

Threads
Yes I was thinking about doing it that way as I saw someone use that method on YouTube but the gas tank is directly above and a good bit of disassembly was required to go that route.

Thanks cruzenmike!

TOTO.

My apologies; I assumed yours has the gas tank up by the engine like my LTX1050 had. That certainly does complicate things. Hopefully you can get it back on tight enough and never need to replace it again. My grandparents had a LGT1554 and that fan had to be replaced more than once over the past few years. It was mentioned that maybe the construction of the blade changed making it more prone to breakage.

Toto

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got it repaired :dance1: The new pully was a little bigger so my 79" belt was to small and went with an 81", an 80" might have worked but had to make a choice, also the new pully was two pieces (original was one solid piece) the center piece was machined for an opened end wrench so it could be held while the top nut was tightened, that was a pleasant surprise and made the repair much easier, the top nut threads were coated, I assume a lock tight or something like that. Since I placed an order for parts I took advantage and just tidied the mower up a little by Replacing some suspension bushings, bumper caps (I used black sealant when I popped them on so maybe they will stay in longer ) and steering/suspension caps.
Thanks TOTO