Hustler service at your local dealer?

neetan

Threads
Hi All,

Hit my 100 hr. on my Fastrack Sd, 48" with the honda 20hp ~ Yes the euro ver.

Just a few questions if I may.

My Hustler instructions say that the zt3100 need an oil change at 200 hr. and the zt3100 manual says 75-100hr who should I follow? Thinking, Hydro gear since they made it!

Now I call the dealer who I bought it from "York Region Equipment Centre" who charge $95 hr with 1.5 hr to do the service/ $35 per filter x2 and 3-5L of oil at $25 per L with pick up and drop off at $125 each way = $600 Seems to high for me with taxes with out any issues (unless they find/found any other items wrong)

Now a dealer closer to me "Canadian Equipment Outfitters" who charge $65-75 x2 each way and $65 per hour for service x2 hr. Plus parts and seemed edgeee when I asked about what the cost of each part and what Oil they use. I did get a very big NO on if I supply my own parts.... so if they change 75 travel x2 = 150 plus 2 hr service $130 filters fussing $30 each x2 = 60 and oil at guessing $25x5 = $125 total out to $465 + taxes = $525 still seems also out of line?

Is it just me or am I not use to all the excessive costs? This unit is still under warranty, the lower cost dealer is 45 min away and the dealer who I bought the unit is 1.5 hr away.

When I was looking to buy, the closer dealer only had Kohler and Kawasaki in stock at a $500-800 higher cost both in 23hp."York Region Equipment Centre" had the Honda 20hp in stock with .9hr showroom stock sitting for 2 yr with free extra blades, Mulch kit and delivery.

I guess I am looking for advice, what is the issue on warranty(what if I did the work myself? Lots of youtube about it)? Plus the disadvantage of not dealing with your dealer who your purchased the item from? Note the dealer who I bought the unit from, sales guy is no longer there. So the current sales person seems not that interested in getting back to me, plus the closer dealer got annoyed when I asked to many questions and had the "do not care attitude, plus I guess he is not use to having someone ask what type of oil do you use?"

Thank you in advance.

mhavanti

Threads
Neetan,

There is no way I'd pay that kind of exhorbitant prices for product and the service rate is a bit high. It is a damned mower, not a D10 Caterpillar.

Purchase your filters, 20W-50 motor oil and change them yourself. It is a simple process if you have the tools, jack and stands to support it, a pan to catch the original fluids. Make sure you've bled all the air out and no leaks. You'll be all set to go.

Here is another thread for you to read: http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/showthread.php/32564-Hustler-Raptor-SD-Hysraulic-Oil

Max

Lawn Addict
Threads
PS: Might wanna read the fine print on yer warranty.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Bring your Hustler to CT. I just got an estimate on my RSD and my dealer charges $160 to replace fluid in the hydros. My manual says to change the hydros at 75 and then every 200 hours.

Hustler says to change the engine oil at 5 hours and then every 40 hours. But Kawasaki says change oil at 8 hours and then every 100 hours, and the oil filter every 200 hours. Seems odd they differ by a significant amount, and that Kawasaki does not want you to change the filter every oil change.

I would follow the Hustler manual at a minimum - they will be the one honoring any warranty. But if the hydro maunfacturer says do it more often, it certainlt can't hurt. But at your prices, I could not afford to have it done more frequently! I would do it yourself. I just did my K46 transmission which technically is a sealed unit. I had to remove the transmission from the lawn tractor and flip it upside down to drain it. The 3100's will be much easier - you don't have to remove them.

neetan

Threads
Hello all,

Thanks for the advice, Yes the pricing is "exorbitant prices for product and the service rate is a bit high" I agree!
Now on the warranty, nothing is said other than "by a auth. dealer" No mention on parts or what is required but the OEM is assumed.

Yes I still have the 400 hr and 4 yr. warranty, which makes me think twice on doing it my self.

Would love more thoughts please.

thanks again.

Lawn Addict
Threads
my .02 fwiw: If you do it & you never have any related issues, all should be ok. But if some problem arose (even if it's un-related to the oil), that could possibly be a way for Dealer to drop yer warranty.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
In the US your warranty can not be voided because you do scheduled maintenance your self or have another person/shop do it. You must how ever keep receipts and I would include pictures of hour meter. Make your self a nice folder and put ever thing in it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks BlazNT-

Learned something new.