Won't continue running

drbednarck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2003 Craftsman garden tractor with 25.0 HP, 48 inch mower. The model number is 917.276010, Kohler engine model CV 730, type 0017. It's been running well but the last time I tried to start it, it would not turn over. I have had some problems thru the years with this so I removed the seat switch and checked it, OK. The battery seemed to need water so filled that. The oil was low so I filled that. The lights would come on when I turned the key, and the battery showed all good in each cell. The blades were clear. I removed the key switch and tested it, bad, replaced it with new. Checked the fuel filter, replaced with new. Didn't know how to check the fuel pump, so replaced with new. Learned how to jump start it, starts right up, But doesn't run more than 5-15 seconds. I checked the oil filter, it was dirty, thought the foam seemed gunky but the engine would start and do the same thing even with the air filter off. I sprayed carburetor cleaner in and around the carb and tried to check that the accelerator parts were working. I found linkage for what I think is the "High Speed Throttle lever" and it seemed not to respond to moving the throttle lever to Fast. Then after all that I tried to start it with the key switch and now even the lights won't work. Anybody please help.

Dixieboy

Threads
Since the lights are not even working sounds like a main battery cable issue. Check both ends and other connections for corrosion. Battery good , have it tested some batteries will show voltage but load will kill it.

Homer1

Threads
Were the lights working prior to the switch replacement? I'd be checking and re-checking all my wiring upgrades, fuses, etc.

As for the engine running and dying after 10-15 seconds, I would suspect a fuel delivery issue. You mentioned you changed the fuel pump. Are the hoses installed correctly, and tight. Is the hose that goes to the engine vacuum leaking perhaps, causing the fuel pump not to keep up. Those fuel pumps run on vacuum in pulses from the engine as it runs, it helps suck fuel from the tank into the carb. If it's cracked or not sealed correctly it "could" be causing you issue.

Also, the fuel shut off solenoid could be malfunctioning, preventing fuel from filling the bowl. It should open when the key is on, and close when it is off. You can test it easily by doing an online search. If wiring is incorrectly placed this "Could" cause the problem.

I am assuming it has a manual choke. Can't find a breakdown right now. Make sure everything is moving correctly.

All I got..

Travlitt

Threads
Were the lights working prior to the switch replacement? I'd be checking and re-checking all my wiring upgrades, fuses, etc.

As for the engine running and dying after 10-15 seconds, I would suspect a fuel delivery issue. You mentioned you changed the fuel pump. Are the hoses installed correctly, and tight. Is the hose that goes to the engine vacuum leaking perhaps, causing the fuel pump not to keep up. Those fuel pumps run on vacuum in pulses from the engine as it runs, it helps suck fuel from the tank into the carb. If it's cracked or not sealed correctly it "could" be causing you issue.

Also, the fuel shut off solenoid could be malfunctioning, preventing fuel from filling the bowl. It should open when the key is on, and close when it is off. You can test it easily by doing an online search. If wiring is incorrectly placed this "Could" cause the problem.

I am assuming it has a manual choke. Can't find a breakdown right now. Make sure everything is moving correctly.

All I got..

My understanding of the fuel shut solenoid has nothing to do with the keeping the bowl from filling. That function is controlled by the needle and seat.

Homer1

Threads
Your correct, I wasn't thinking. It actually just stops flow of fuel through the jet to reduce or prevent backfires I think. However, if it's malfunctioning I could see it lending a hand to the problem either way. Could be a bad ground connection or etc.

drbednarck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Won't continue running UPDATE

Since the engine will start when jumped, I figure the battery and wires are good, I mean an instant start, no weak grinding. So I removed and tested for continuity on the safety brake switch, the seat switch, the key switch, and the pto switch. All came out normal. I did not know where or how to test the "neutral switch". I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it. I found the "high speed linkage" disconnected again. The video on YouTube shows a small clip that holds it together, so I improvised one with a zip tie. I also took the cover off the Kohler engine and checked the coils and didn't see anything wrong except I found a dead mouse under one of them. Saying all this and still the key doesn't turn it on, and when I jump start it, same problem. I also drained all the gas and put new gas in with conditioner, thinking maybe there was water in the tank. Still runs for less than 15 seconds and dies.

Any more ideas out there??

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do not make any assumptions about the battery. Have it tested. They have 90-day warranties and can die at the drop of a hat.

drbednarck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Won't continue running IT WORKS!

Okay, I talked to a tech at Sears parts direct, and he ordered and sent me "switch interlock push-in" and no instructions on where to put it. I figured it out by comparing the different safety switches. It matched the brake/clutch pedal switch, so I took the old one out, (with a minor setback, I had forgotten to remove the battery cable, and dropped a wrench that reminded me of it by sparking when it hit). Anyway I got it out and put the new one in with help of a come-a-long to get the spring reattached. Then I checked the fuse again because of the sparking incident and, of course, it was blown. So I replaced the 30 amp with a 25 amp just to see if it would work, and it DID! It started right up and ran as long as I needed it to go.

Thank you everyone for all the ideas and helpful hints.