B&S vtwin 16 won't charge battery

sgarver

Forum Newbie
Threads
i can charge battery with a charger and start mower but the mower will not charge the battery.
if i kill the mower i can't get it to start back up. the battery was replaced last year but i think something
is causing it to not charge.... fuses all seem to check out okay. how can i check the regulator or stator?
i don't have a service manual and can't find one to download. does anyone have a way i can till wher the problem might be? thanks
steve

jet62095

Threads
You can check the Stator by removing the Blower Housing and Flywheel, the Stator is underneath the flywheel.

jeff

Threads
i can charge battery with a charger and start mower but the mower will not charge the battery.
if i kill the mower i can't get it to start back up. the battery was replaced last year but i think something
is causing it to not charge.... fuses all seem to check out okay. how can i check the regulator or stator?
i don't have a service manual and can't find one to download. does anyone have a way i can till wher the problem might be? thanks
steve
Use a volt/ohm meter. With the engine running, check AC volts on the two wires that come from under the flywheel. Should read 28vac or more. After that test, check center wire on voltage regulator with meter set on DC, should read above 14 vdc. If the readings are low on the stator, it is bad. If the regulator check is low, then it is bad.