old bolens 750 posi

mrmartin

Forum Newbie
Threads
first off let me know if this is a deal or not. fella has 750 bolens rope start with mower and blower. starts first or second pull. he wants 250 for all. the bad, the wheels will turn only with the posi traction engaged all the way. I have not been inside the tranny of one of these but it may be easy fix or not. anyone been inside these trannies?
thanks
marty

BWH

Threads
I had a 800 Bolens which would be the previous models to the 50 series. I am guessing that the differential lock on the 750 is on the right side of the tractor on the end of the axel and you turn it in until it gets tight? I never had any problems with mine but just guessing it would have to be a clutch pack in the rear end or possibly a broken axel shaft, but as heavy built as those are that would take some doing to break an axel shaft. I have original shop manuals for the 600/800/900 and 650/750/1050/1250 series tractors. I'm not sure where I put it but I've got it stored somewhere. I will look into it to see how that actually works. The most I ever had to do is straighten a shifting fork that got bent by someone forcing it into a gear, they have very large gears for a tractor of that size.

Those were very heavy duty tractors that simply didn't wear out easily.

mrmartin

Forum Newbie
Threads
The fact that he can get the axels to turn by going full posi leads me to believe a bushing/washer/etc has worn and just needs replacing. I really would like to get the mower working on it but not with the full posi on, but if I could fix it without getting crazy I'd love to get it.

mrmartin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll have to find a parts break down and look for a clutch pack...I don't know what that is but I'll look. thanks