Raptor SD vs. MZ54S Husky

mhavanti

Threads
Go for the higher serial number in case of any recalls, the older one may not have been updated. Plus, it will have the better foam in the seat.

kraky

Threads
Well... just for fun I'll come to the defense of the Fastrac since I came from an SD to a fastrac...both 54".
Fastrac pluses.....
It's a heavier-duty unit sporting more weight and the protection of a roll bar if you need it.
You get an extra year warranty
Bigger fuel tank and roomier operator station. Electric fuel gauge.
Both my units had the Kawasaki engine but the fast track is much quieter.
You get the next Notch heavier hydros and for some reason they are much more accurate and less jumpy than the ones on the SD.
The traction is noticeably better for some reason... must be the extra weight /taller tires yet for some reason it seems to leave Les tire tracks when the ground is soft.
The front wheels stay planted better.
The open design of the mower deck discharge is better and keeps the deck cleaner on The Fast Track.
The deck lift linkages are much heavier Duty and the lift assist spring is really sweet when you're dial it up to help you lift the deck.
Fast Track definitely rides better on rough ground
I like the deck adjustment pin setup better.
For some reason it leaves a little more striping effect.
That's about all I can come up with right now but I would buy it again and spend the extra money in a heartbeat.

DK35vince

Threads
Well... just for fun I'll come to the defense of the Fastrac since I came from an SD to a fastrac...both 54".
Fastrac pluses.....
It's a heavier-duty unit sporting more weight and the protection of a roll bar if you need it.
You get an extra year warranty
Bigger fuel tank and roomier operator station. Electric fuel gauge.
Both my units had the Kawasaki engine but the fast track is much quieter.
You get the next Notch heavier hydros and for some reason they are much more accurate and less jumpy than the ones on the SD.
The traction is noticeably better for some reason... must be the extra weight /taller tires yet for some reason it seems to leave Les tire tracks when the ground is soft.
The front wheels stay planted better.
The open design of the mower deck discharge is better and keeps the deck cleaner on The Fast Track.
The deck lift linkages are much heavier Duty and the lift assist spring is really sweet when you're dial it up to help you lift the deck.
Fast Track definitely rides better on rough ground
I like the deck adjustment pin setup better.
For some reason it leaves a little more striping effect.
That's about all I can come up with right now but I would buy it again and spend the extra money in a heartbeat.
+1
My neighbor had a Raptor SD 60". He had several issues with it the first year. (deck lift brackets and transmission cross brace issues)
My previous zero turn was a FasTrak. Never had a single issue with it the 4 years I owned it. Nice mower I just needed something bigger, faster with more power for my 8 acre lawn.
Upsized to a Hustler Super Z 72" (35 HP Kawasaki). Love it. I've owned 4 years now, never a single issue so far and this thing mows awesome fast. (and yes mhavanti I've seen my neighbors Raptor mow and my Super Z and there is a considerable difference in mow speeds/time on our large yards. Super Z hands down)
With the suspension seat , flex forks, longer wheel base and over double the weight it rides better doing it.
Mows my 8 acre lawn in 2 hours.

Picture of my Super Z beside the FasTrak when I first brought it home (flex forks were added to the Z soon after this photo was taken)

Attachments

• HPIM1267.JPG
    HPIM1267.JPG
    249.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

BoylermanCT

Threads
Boyler,

I've told this story before. I have a SD60, neighbor across the street has the most expensive Hustler with a 52" deck. His runs 16 mph, mine runs 7.5.

We both mowed my yard, we both mowed his yard. My little ole cheap SD took less time to cut both yards and that is mainly because I cut using my entire deck, he cuts loosing about ten inches of his effectively making his a 42" cut. I cut my yard which is larger than his by a third in a quarter less time. Plus, mine rides better than his. I thought I wanted his until I rode it. Staying with the SD60 although some say I should get a 54 so it won't scalp. Wouldn't it have to first scalp in order to not scalp? lol I call BS on a narrower deck.

If you got it, flaunt it. I'm not into mowing, I'm into getting it over with. lol.

I haven't found anything the SD doesn't do just as well as a Fastrack, XOne or any other Hustler with the exception of wheelies. Dang thing won't wheelie yet. That is coming.

Max

I should have gotten the 60" version of the RSD, that extra 6" would shave time off my 2 hours of mowing.

Now the real test would have been for you to use your neighbor's high end Hustler!

I would like more speed. I mow 90% of my yard at full speed on the RSD, and the yard is smooth enough to go faster than the 2800 hydros will go. Do I need 16mph? Definitely not! But 10-12mph would be useful and would cut my mowing time down even more.

Top98Percent

Threads
I test drove both when I was looking for a mower. Went with the SDX during the Raptor Season Sales event in June/July, combining it with the 10% off coupon and a bunch of GC's lol

Once I drove both, it was an easy decision. Steering was smoother, ride felt better. Even the regular SD seat felt better. I believe the SD60 & SDX have the same or similar seats. SD54 had a little less cushion, but still better than the Husky. If you can, sit on them both and see what feels better to you.

I believe the big difference between 2016 & 17 is 17 has the Kohler engine with the cylinder or canister style air filter and a bigger oil filter. The air filter is inside that big hump on the back of the engine.
pro.jpg

If they're priced the same, go for the 17

Good Luck

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I test drove both when I was looking for a mower. Went with the SDX during the Raptor Season Sales event in June/July, combining it with the 10% off coupon and a bunch of GC's lol

Once I drove both, it was an easy decision. Steering was smoother, ride felt better. Even the regular SD seat felt better. I believe the SD60 & SDX have the same or similar seats. SD54 had a little less cushion, but still better than the Husky. If you can, sit on them both and see what feels better to you.

I believe the big difference between 2016 & 17 is 17 has the Kohler engine with the cylinder or canister style air filter and a bigger oil filter. The air filter is inside that big hump on the back of the engine.
View attachment 33875

If they're priced the same, go for the 17

Good Luck

Thanks for all that.

I had been able to sit on a Raptor SD and was quite comfortable.
The Husqvarna model was not available anywhere, so I could not give it a sit-see.
I called hustler (no small feat getting a phone # ) and even though the model #'s were good, they could not tell
the model years for those numbers.
The rep did seem to think that the higher # would be a newer model.
I did find out that the new hydro cross brace was installed on mowers built in (or after?) 1702 serial #'s.
My mower should arrive at the store on Thursday (8/17) and I will be able to get the serial # at that time.
I'm not sure if I will accept a pre-mod mower, as the Hustler guy said I would have to take it to a dealer for the new brace.
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

One interesting note: Lowe's now lists the one I ordered as "unavailable."
I hope that is not ominous...........

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well.....SHOOT...
I just received a call from a rep at Hustler.
They are out of the 2017 Raptor SD that I ordered.
They could fill the order with a 2016 model, but would not have the updated hydro cross brace or other 2017 changes.

In a quandary now...........

Homer1

Threads
I'll just go ahead and tell ya, I've never been a Hustler fan. Especially the lower end versions. I've had local dealers tell me they won't even work on anything under the Fastrak.

I do like the Husqvarna. There's really nothing wrong with it other than some who will snarl at the Briggs engine. I'll let you in on a secret though, even if you needed a full engine replacement after their 4 year warranty expires, you'd still spend less than the other brands as the briggs engines are just less expensive. I use briggs on most of my equipment, and I've not had any issues to date.

The MZ has 3100 hydros, plenty for any residential application, and good enough for commercial longevity. Easy deck belt access, foot assist deck lift, and plenty of power. It's also light at only 700 lbs, and again, 4 year warranty. The only thing it might not have is the fabricated deck, but the argument over the fab decks vs stamped decks is always coming up somewhere. Some people swear the stamped decks have better airflow.

The MZ48 does comes with a Kohler engine option albeit the 7000 series, which they claim is based off the command series, and offers the fabricated deck for about 500 more. Same hydros, same warranty.

I have a neighbor that owns the MZ48, and he seems to love it. It cuts nicely and is reliable.

Not that the Hustler is all that bad, it may be built a little tougher, but I believe the husqvarna has some better options, especially the transmissions.

The key is, Don't be in a hurry to buy. You will almost always find something better the week after you do. Shop around if your set on the Hustler, check with other Lowes stores and see if they can deliver it for free to yours.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They are out of 2017 models, but will sell you a 2016. Sit back and think about what you have gone through, do you trust them? I can't believe there are no 2017's available, don't think they want to work with you, just want to get rid of old stock. What does your gut feel like right now? I would start over and really think if I want to go with a big box store. Maybe time to start looking at dealers, who know what is available in their lines. Just my two cents worth.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
They are out of 2017 models, but will sell you a 2016. Sit back and think about what you have gone through, do you trust them? I can't believe there are no 2017's available, don't think they want to work with you, just want to get rid of old stock. What does your gut feel like right now? I would start over and really think if I want to go with a big box store. Maybe time to start looking at dealers, who know what is available in their lines. Just my two cents worth.

It is not the store that is out of the 2017 SD 54" models----it is Excel themselves.
So I really have no reason to distrust the store.......
I even called the store's headquarters, and they searched their entire national inventory and-not a one to be found.

Well, the big box store knocked another $400.00 off the price for me to take a 2016.
That makes it $700.00 less than the local dealers for a 2017.
I may have to deal with the hydro cross brace issue someday, maybe not.
But, for a savings of $700.00......................................