Raptor SD vs. MZ54S Husky

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have read only 1 brief thread on this topic in the Husqvarna Forum, so I come here seeking advice.
I am comparing :
Hustler Raptor SD 54" vs.
Husqvarna MZ54S
Both at the $4k price point (-10% at Lowe's this weekend)

The Hustler is Kohler powered; the Husqvarna is B&S
Transmissions...Raptor SD ZT-2800; Mz54S ZT-3100
Raptor SD has fabricated deck; Husqvarna's deck is stamped, but reinforced with steel plate.
I believe the Raptor has 20" rear tires; Husqvarna 22"

The Hustler has a 3 year warranty; Husqvarna a 4 year.(Verified with Husqvarna)

What say y'all in the Hustler Forum??

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
For the speed, I'd take the 3100 hydros.

For the overall mower, Kohler versus B&D, I'll take the Kohler.

Decks, I'll take the hustler especially the lift mechanism.

Hustler still wins since the only thing going for the MTD brand zero turn is the hydros.

Hustler hands down.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Husqvarna made by MTD ??
I guess I shouldn't have used a slang name for Husqvarna...
The MTD manufactured mower of similar name is Huskee from Tractor supply...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Raptor hands down, especially if you are on bumpy ground. MTD won't last three years in those conditions. Second, please don't post in different forums, only gets confusing and won't help you.

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is Husqvarna manufactured by MTD ??

As for the different forums, probably not a great idea.
I figgered to get pro-Hustler comments in this one, and pro Husqvarna in the other.

I recon that I also should not have used the Husky term............

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Husquvara and MTD two different companies. My recommendation remains the same, but if it was me I would look at a Toro TimeMaster. Little higher price, but definite difference in quality.

BoylermanCT

Threads
I was shopping the same 2 mowers last year. Found a dealer who sold both Husqvarna and Hustler. He had me speak to his shop manager and his lead repair guy. Both said get the Hustler. They said the quality and build on Hustler were much better. Husqvarna had a higher rate of warranty issues, and Husqvarna denied more claims. Found the same story at my local Scag dealer who just dropped Husqvarna the year before for their lack of warranty support.

I went with the Hustler Raptor SD and really like it. Put high lift blades on it and it plows through anything. Would have liked to have bought a Scag commercial mower, but was way out of my price range!

mhavanti

Threads
Boyler,

I've told this story before. I have a SD60, neighbor across the street has the most expensive Hustler with a 52" deck. His runs 16 mph, mine runs 7.5.

We both mowed my yard, we both mowed his yard. My little ole cheap SD took less time to cut both yards and that is mainly because I cut using my entire deck, he cuts loosing about ten inches of his effectively making his a 42" cut. I cut my yard which is larger than his by a third in a quarter less time. Plus, mine rides better than his. I thought I wanted his until I rode it. Staying with the SD60 although some say I should get a 54 so it won't scalp. Wouldn't it have to first scalp in order to not scalp? lol I call BS on a narrower deck.

If you got it, flaunt it. I'm not into mowing, I'm into getting it over with. lol.

I haven't found anything the SD doesn't do just as well as a Fastrack, XOne or any other Hustler with the exception of wheelies. Dang thing won't wheelie yet. That is coming.

Max

Ronno6

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like the Hustler gets the vote!
Thanks for the input.

Lowe's appears to have 2 Raptor SD 54" models at the same price.
Model #'s 934760 and 935882.
I think they are just 2016 and 2017 models respectively.

Anyone aware of any changes between the two??

Last edited: