36" Honda Hydro Walk Behind, drive pumps seem "weak". Time for rebuild?

Roc585

Threads
  • / 36" Honda Hydro Walk Behind, drive pumps seem "weak". Time for rebuild?
36" Honda Hydro Walk Behind, drive pumps seem "weak". Time for rebuild?

Got a 36" Honda HRC-7013 walk behind mower with a pair of "HYDRO-GEAR BDP-10L-117" pumps. Not sure what the drive motors are yet, hard to see a part number on them.

It seems like forward speed isn't fully what it should be, and reverse on the one side is WAY slower than the on the other. I've tried adjusting the linkages, but can't tweak things perfectly. If I adjust for more reverse, I lose forward speed, and vise versa.

Nothing looks obviously damaged, and there's no oil leaks to speak of, but there's signs of wear on other parts, so I'm just wondering if the pumps or wheel motors are equally as worn.

I bought this used, and haven't changed the hydro oil and filter yet, so I'll do that first. In the mean time, any tips on what I should look for, or be looking forward to? Or any tips on which oil to use on an older machine. Maybe that'll have some affect?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads

Roc585

Threads
Re: 36" Honda Hydro Walk Behind, drive pumps seem "weak". Time for rebuild?

You ought to get a shop manual...worth every penny for repairs and maintenance. Honda sells them (paper only) direct on eBay and Amazon:

Probably pretty solid advice.