John Deere Z425 no start

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had this problem last year but learned how to beat on carburetor bowl and start solenoid in bottom of float bowl. Before I ever try to start I look at the in line fuel filter bowl and it is clear full, don't believe this is normal. It will start and run for approximately 8 seconds and die, won't start again until I beat on bowl and start turning engine over and fuel will start moving thru filter. Will start and run OK from then.
Last night it started and ran approximately 1 and 1/2 minutes and died. Fuel filter was half full of fuel like it should be.
Any ideals? thanks

Been There

Threads
From what you are reporting, sounds like the float in the carburetor is sticking closed and won't allow gas other than the small amount that flows when you bang on the carburetor and bowl. You need to remove the carburetor bowl and clean it out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:
Well for starters what engine are you bashing on ?
make & model number please

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Briggs Stratton 23 horse OHV Twin G4 crankshaft.
How do I get bowl off? Is there a nut on the middle of bottom of bowl? Thanks

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wii I need a new gasket when replacing bowl? Thanks

Been There

Threads
Use will be able to use the old bowl gasket, that is, if you didn't damaged it when removing the carburetor bowl.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go here http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/.
In the maintenance section they have a good selection of carb strips laid out carefully, step by step for those who have never done it before.
On the blower housing or stamped into the rocker cover will be the Briggs Model. code & serial numbers.
Use these to download and print out a copy of your engine parts diagrams,

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go here http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/.
In the maintenance section they have a good selection of carb strips laid out carefully, step by step for those who have never done it before.
On the blower housing or stamped into the rocker cover will be the Briggs Model. code & serial numbers.
Use these to download and print out a copy of your engine parts diagrams,

Thanks to all

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well got the carb. off. Took off the air horn. With air horn in vise and carb. bowl facing up, took of bowl and everything looks fine. Took air horn out of vise and turned upside down several times, float seemed to function properly. I realize just giggling around might of caused it to drop and retract. needle doesn't look bad. Put electric to solenoid and it seems to function right. I will say when I turned carb. right side up the two main jets fell out, should the O-rings on the main jets hold them in place in the emulsion tube?
So what are your thoughts? I will probably change float and needle value while I'm in there.
Thanks

rickluc1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well got the carb. off. Took off the air horn with carb.. With air horn in vise and carb. bowl facing up, took off bowl and everything looks fine. Took air horn out of vise and turned upside down several times, float seemed to function properly. I realize just giggling around might of caused it to drop and retract. needle doesn't look bad. Put electric to solenoid and it seems to function right. I will say when I turned carb. right side up the two main jets fell out, should the O-rings on the main jets hold them in place in the emulsion tube?
So what are your thoughts? I will probably change float and needle value while I'm in there.
Thanks