Charging issues on Kawasaki engines.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have three Tiger Cat Scags with Kawasaki engines. I love them and have had incredible success with them. However lately I have had electrical problems with all of them. It seems like I get one out of the shop and another one is going in.

I just got one out today (The newest one) and took one (The oldest one). The other one is blowing fuses normally on or two a day.

Are any of the rest of you folks having this type of issues?

cruzenmike

Threads
Is the repair shop providing any insight as to the WHY you are experiencing this problem? It just doesn't make sense that three machines are all experiencing the same exact problem. It is quite possible that something you are doing is causing the issue. Do you wash or even worse power-wash your units, inadvertently introducing water/moisture to the electrical components? Are you engaging the PTO at the right throttle? ( I know this sounds silly but my eXmark specifically requires engagement at mid-throttle) Is the voltage regulator operating properly and is it grounded directly to the frame? Has the entire electrical harness on these machines been inspected for shorts or missing casing on wires? Just some thoughts. I hope you get this figured out as electrical problems are some of the worst to deal with on anything you own!

Mike

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the repair shop providing any insight as to the WHY you are experiencing this problem? It just doesn't make sense that three machines are all experiencing the same exact problem. It is quite possible that something you are doing is causing the issue. Do you wash or even worse power-wash your units, inadvertently introducing water/moisture to the electrical components? Are you engaging the PTO at the right throttle? ( I know this sounds silly but my eXmark specifically requires engagement at mid-throttle) Is the voltage regulator operating properly and is it grounded directly to the frame? Has the entire electrical harness on these machines been inspected for shorts or missing casing on wires? Just some thoughts. I hope you get this figured out as electrical problems are some of the worst to deal with on anything you own!

Mike

Power washer is not the problem for sure. I personally operate one and another guy operates the other. Two of the mowers have had clutches changed this year. One has about 900 hours on it and the clutch was replaced in April. It has not run as much since April as the other two. It is the one that is now blowing fuses.

The one I got out of the shop today had a clutch put on it a few weeks ago. it has over 600 hours on it.

The one I put in the shop today has never had a clutch replaced on it and it has over 1500 hours on it. This mower (The one with the most hours) had a battery replaced on it a couple of weeks ago as well.

All three of these mowers are run commercially and we hit over 90 properties every two weeks. Normally we run only two of them a day and hold the third for a back up. There are days that we run all three though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuses blow either because of a short or a higher load ( which a short is )
Usual suspects are corrosion at the fuse itself, the ground wire where it contacts the frame the rectifier ground bolt / strap.
Spray the fuse with WD 40 then repeatidly remove & replace the fuse.
Do the same wit the plug at the rectifier
Clean the ground contact for both the rectifier and battery then tighten and paint over with liquid electrical tape.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I apologize this needed to be in the Scag Forum in stead of the Kubota one. Sorry.

NealS

Threads
Fuses blow either because of a short or a higher load ( which a short is )
Usual suspects are corrosion at the fuse itself, the ground wire where it contacts the frame the rectifier ground bolt / strap.
Spray the fuse with WD 40 then repeatidly remove & replace the fuse.
Do the same wit the plug at the rectifier
Clean the ground contact for both the rectifier and battery then tighten and paint over with liquid electrical tape.

What is the electrical load capacity of a Kawasaki FR691V engine. We have added a fan to one and wonder if we might be about to overload the electrical?