Twin Briggs Stalls; The saga continues Post # 2

joemac1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/craftsman-forum/4327-twin-briggs-stalls.html-link to first problem post

The above link is to my first problem post. I have since rebuilt carb & fuel pump. On first try at starting, nothing ; no attempt to fire. I even used 50% either starting fluid , no fire. I opened up top of bowl and it was empty...? I manually filled it 1/2 full and tried again....This time it fired up and ran about 4 seconds....sounded real good....I was thinking,ok I did something wrong with fuel pump spring or gaskets....tore back down and looked things over.Re assembled and installed. This time I started with the float bowl full of fuel.....tried...no fire. I took out spark plug and couldn't see any spark from it. I put a screw driver in plug wire and I did get a faint spark out of it.....i'm going to try at dark with plug again and she if i can see something....ANY SUGGESTION.....PLEASE!!!!!!!

Last edited:

joemac1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
At dark......not spark from grounded spark plug....should I look at seat safety switch and any others?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to check what is killing the ignition... If there is an operator present switch and it is not in good shape it will shut down the ignition if the pto is on, and it can prevent ignition if your not on the seat... is there a clutch switch also on this rider?, I'm guessing it must be a rider with a 2 cylinder B&S engine... :smile:KennyV

joemac1958

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it's a 10 year old Craftsman LT1000. The starter will not engage if clutch is not depressed. Starter will engage if not on seat.....so I ohm'd out switch . It is normally closed when seat is up. when seat switch is depressed it becomes open....?? Is this normal?

Last edited:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I ohm'd out switch . It is normally closed when seat is up. when seat switch is depressed it becomes open....?? Is this normal?

Yes ... it applies ground to the kill wire on the magneto, when you are not on the seat... if any part of that wire going between the mag and the seat is frayed and gets grounded, that will shut you down...... :smile:KennyV