Toro TimeCutter Z5035 (74376) Charging Issues

colesy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All,

I've been having charging issues with my Toro which has a Kawasaki FR691V engine. I started out thinking it was a dead battery so I replaced it and everything was fine for a few cuts. Then it wouldn't start unless I boosted it. I did some testing with a volt meter and found when running at full throttle wasn't getting any additional voltage to the battery. I checked the DC side of the voltage regulator/rectifier and I do get battery voltage. When I check the two AC sides of the regulator/rectifier at full throttle I get 25v on one side and like 7v on the other side. I wasn't exactly sure what I should see from those, but I'm guessing they should both read in the 25-30v AC range. I figured this must mean it's the stator, but since it was easier and relatively cheap to replace I started with replacing the voltage regulator/rectifier. As I suspected I am getting the same results.

I have a few questions. What reading should I get from the AC side of the regulator/rectifier, and in your option does it sound like the issue is with the stator at this point? Are there any additional troubleshooting steps I can take to confirm? Are there any good tutorials or tear downs for this particular engine I can use? I have a good idea of how to replace it, it's just a matter of putting it all back together properly.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One side of your stator is duff as you previously worked out.
30-45 V AC between the AC wires and 24 to 30 V AC each to ground.

colesy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks! I have ordered a stator and replace it when it comes in. I took some more voltage readings today.

On the DC side of the voltage regulator/rectifier, with the line to the battery unplugged I only get about 6v. With the battery line plugged in I get the equivalent of battery voltage, 12.5v.

When I take an AC reading from the stator lines when unhooked from the regulator/rectifier I get about 10.5v from each side. When the stator is plugged into the regulator/rectifier I get around 25v from one side and 7v from the other. Not sure why I get a different reading when it's unplugged unless I am getting a combined reading on the one side.

Either way, I think these numbers further prove that the issue is with the stator. I will update once I am able to replace it.

colesy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just replaced the stator and it hasn't fixed the issue. What else could it be? Is it possible the flywheel magnets could be bad and causing this? Not sure what else to try.