Repairs Timemaster weak drive

Mike88se

Threads
I can't figure this one out. 2013 Timemaster I bought as a project. I bought it thinking it only needed carb repair. I took care of the carb and it runs iike a top. The PP system drive system was weak. It would only propel the mower on pavement and then only if I grabbed the cable between the PP lever and the adjustment bracket and pulled hard. I pulled too hard on the cable and broke the lever on the transmission. I installed a new transmission, new drive cable, and new belts. That helped a little. Now it will propel on pavement just by pushing down on the PP handle. The gears on the ends of the axle are good. The teeth on the wheels are good. The spring that holds tension on the belt is good. I can't see anything that would keep this thing from working.

Mike88se

Threads
nada huh? I didn't think so. I'm right there in front of it and can't see what is causing it so I didn't really think anybody else would. Got to be something Im overlooking

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I looked over all the diagrams I could find and could not see a reason for your problem. Sorry I could not help.

Mike88se

Threads
I looked over all the diagrams I could find and could not see a reason for your problem. Sorry I could not help.

Thanks! I appreciate your effort. I just tore it all back down again. I couldn't find anything that would cause this. All the bearings are good as are the gears/wheel teeth, belts etc. I did find where I'd forgot to install an inner circlip. It was missing before and I didn't notice. I installed one and it didn't make a difference.
I tried tightening the traction cable more but all that did was make the trans semi-engaged at all times. Not enough to drive but enough to feel.
New problem now... whatever the axle/height adjust spring hooked on at the top fell out or got lost inside somewhere. I'll have to improvise on that since there doesn't seem to be a part in the diagrams. I considered sending the new transmission back but I don't think the tranny was the problem in the first place. It seems jinxed ;) I might just sell it while I can still get my money out of it.

Mike88se

Threads
I tried Toro's customer support on the part that holds that spring to the body. Here's their reply.
Mike,

Thank you for contacting Toro Customer Care. We are happy to assist you.

We appreciate you contacting us in regards to your mower. We were not able to locate the part that you need. We recommend contacting an authorized service mechanic who can identify the part that you need. Below you will find two authorized service mechanics based on the zip code you provided.

AZTEC RENTAL SERVICES
7721 PINEMONT DR, HOUSTON, TX 77040 US
Phone: (713) 681-1383

AL'S ENGINE & EQUIPMENT
6908 LONG POINT RD., HOUSTON, TX 77055 US
Phone: (713) 681-4663

We thank you for your time and the opportunity to assist you. If you require further assistance you may contact Toro at 1-888-384-9939.

Sincerely,

Patricia

Customer Care Representative

Case Number 5165062

Mike88se

Threads
Re: Timemaster weak drive *** Fixed ***

I couldn't think of anything else so I thought I'd throw a few more dollars at it. I replaced the plastic lever that the traction cable hooks on to. I didn't see anything wrong w/ the old one but it must have been cracked just enough not to work 100% because the mower pulls like new now.
I also loosened the rear of the chute and found a small rusty rod rolling around in there. I assume it was welded in place at the factory. That was what the axle/height adjust spring was supposed to hook on to. I just dropped it back in the place it was supposed to be and hooked the spring onto it and then onto the rear axle. The tension should hold it in place.
lever.jpg