Gravely issue

Redfish1

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower has been running good ...no issues at all....bought the mower about 4 1/2 yrs ago...have changed the oil every year and blades once...I was Mowing the yard today ....turned the blades off....moved my kayak that I had laying in the yard from a recent fishing trip...got back on mower.....everything was good ... But when I engaged the blades again it acted like the timing changed...hit the blade switch and and motor went back to running good again......engaged the blades again and motor died, trend the key ....just clicking sound......could it be the battery ( battery shows 12.5 volts ) or pto switch gone bad. Why would it shutdown just because I engaged the blades..???....any help will be appreciated ... The yard is half mowed!!!!

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
PTO runs off 2 things on the mower. One is the carb. It has 2 circuits. The idle circuit and the load circuit. It is the part that allows you to mow your lawn. It delivers extra fuel to run mower under load. If it is clogged then engine will die. Dirt in gas normally is the cause. Second thing is the stator or alternator for those that do not know what a stator is. The PTO runes off the charging circuit and require the stator to be producing electricity to work.
Since your battery is not dead then I would have to assume the 2nd circuit in your carb is clogged and can not get enough fuel to run. I would be removing my carb and cleaning it. This should get you back in business. For anyone who does not know the outside of the carb is not what needs cleaned it is the inside that does. You must remove the bowl and clean all the little holes out.

Redfish1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took it to the dealer where I bought it.... They said it was the battery. Replaced battery and everything is workings get fine now.... It must have been loading the battery up .....it was the original battery .... 4 1/2 years old...

Homer1

Threads
You may want to check the battery voltage when the mower is running at full throttle with no load. Otherwise in neutral without the blades on. The voltage should be higher than when the mower is off.

I'm not sure exactly how much more the voltage will be, but if it's not much higher then you could have a charging problem also.

This may not be necessary to be honest, but I would especially investigate it if you run into the same issue again.