Repairs Simplicity Citation 21/48 PTO stopped working

heavy_kevie

Threads
Out mowing Sunday, got the job halfway complete when the PTO clutch disengaged on its own. Pulled into the garage, put the mower up on jack stands and took a look at the clutch wires. Wires looked good, connector looks solid. Checked PTO fuse, fuse looks good. Pull out the DVM, check for voltage at clutch connector, 0 volts with switch engaged. Battery voltage is 12.4 volts, put charger on, cleaned battery posts and wires. Check voltage at fuse, 0 volts on either side with and without clutch switch engaged. Disconnected OP switch under seat, 0v at fuse. Jumpered OP switch, 0v at PTO fuse. Getting lost now. Adjusted PTO clutch to 16 thousandths air gap, still no voltage at fuse :laughing:. The model number is 2690444, model year is 2007, s/n is 2012618170, 537.3 hours. Anybody have a service manual on this mower or at least a wiring diagram?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
What voltage do you get at the battery when running the engine at WOT?

heavy_kevie

Threads
Digging deeper into the problem, I followed the wire from the PTO fuse to the PTO Switch. On the PTO switch, there are 3 rows of contacts, two sets of contacts have 3 contacts each and the last has two contacts. The two rows with the 3 contacts have an open and closed position with the PTO switch off and they alternate states when the PTO switch is in the on position. The last set of contacts are open when the PTO switch is off and closed when the PTO switch is on. With ignition switch on and the PTO switch off, the row with the two contacts had 12v on one side and 0v on the other. When the PTO switch was moved from off to on, a brief voltage was observed on the last row of contacts, then 0v. I figured this was the pair of contacts for the PTO Clutch. Purchased a new PTO Switch and I'm back in business. Thanks for the help BlazNT!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow you are good at testing. I figured i was going to have to work with you on this. You made this seem easy. Happy you posted your fix as others will now be able to follow your lead and fix their mower.