Broken Exhaust Manifold Bolt. Urg!

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I did a motor swap on a John Deere mower today. Has the 19.5hp Briggs OHV. So when I went to remove the second bolt, one closest to block, the dang thing snapped off! SO, I drilled it out, went to use an ez out and used so much force I thought the ez out was going to break. So I said screw it, and decided to try to drill out the hole thing and do a heli coil. Now the dang drill bit snapped off inside the drilled out bolt, flush! Am I screwed or what??

If I use the bolt on the good side, can I use a high temp sealant and the gasket? Think that will hold? The pipe isn't connected to the muffler, it just slides in so there isn't any real weight on it.... Just a though. Otherwise I'll have to replace the head.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like you need to remove the head and visit a modern "Machine-Shop" ..IF you can find one, might check with an automotive speed-shop to see who they recommend.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are a lots of companies that remove broken bolts, usually by high pressure water jet machining.
Last time I had it done here it was $ 40 / bolt if you took it to them and $ 90 for a call out.
Some even do it mobile usually as part of mobile thread repair set up.
Look em up in your yellow pages.