MTD Huskee Model 54M7 - starts, runs, will not re-start when hot

weisguy34

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Huskee Model 54M7 - starts, runs, will not re-start when hot
Have owned this model for a year now. It has the auto choke and no primer. It will start cold, run, but when you shut it down, like to empty the bagger, it will not re-start after it has been running? After 2-5 pulls on starter cord, smell gas like it is flooded. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi & WELCOME to LMF...
Check if the choke is closed, when it has been running and hot, it should not be choked... sounds like yours has the choke full closed... :smile:KennyV

maylane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have owned this model for a year now. It has the auto choke and no primer. It will start cold, run, but when you shut it down, like to empty the bagger, it will not re-start after it has been running? After 2-5 pulls on starter cord, smell gas like it is flooded. Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?

Yes I am having the same problem. I have been able to restart by taking the air filter off, then start it.
If you don't have someone to help you you must tie the blade bar to the handle, so you may put the air filter back on, but what a pain. I was told the coil must be bad, but this mower is 2 months old, I don't think so, probably a design flaw.

maylane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi & WELCOME to LMF...
Check if the choke is closed, when it has been running and hot, it should not be choked... sounds like yours has the choke full closed... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, this unit has no choke. It is one of those automatic??? things

earthworm

Threads
Yes I am having the same problem. I have been able to restart by taking the air filter off, then start it.....if this works, then the filter may be clogged
If you don't have someone to help you you must tie the blade bar to the handle, so you may put the air filter back on, but what a pain. I was told the coil must be bad... I use a small clamp from HF....guessing ?? on was the resistance measured...coils do not like a lot of heat for a long time..., but this mower is 2 months old, I don't think so, probably a design flaw.
When this hard/no start occurs again, right away pull the plug and read it...is it wet or dry ?