Oil Filter for a Kawasaki FX 691

BCuz

Forum Newbie
Threads
My new Fastrak SD has the Kawasaki FX691 motor on it and its time to do my 1st oil change. Was wondering if y'all know a Fram or Wix I can pick up that will match up. What do y'all use? My dealer is a bit of a drive away so If I can get one at the WalMarx or one of the local auto parts it'll just make life a little simpler. Also the Kawasaki filters are a bit pricey. Should I take this to the small engine forum? (still learning the forum)

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
My new Fastrak SD has the Kawasaki FX691 motor on it and its time to do my 1st oil change. Was wondering if y'all know a Fram or Wix I can pick up that will match up. What do y'all use? My dealer is a bit of a drive away so If I can get one at the WalMarx or one of the local auto parts it'll just make life a little simpler. Also the Kawasaki filters are a bit pricey. Should I take this to the small engine forum? (still learning the forum)

Your filter number should be on the filter or in your owners guide, you can visit the fram or wix websites and cross-reference the number to find their model to fit .

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not to scare you BUT I'd be wary of Evil-Bay merchandise, some of the stuff is factory rejects with false logo's on them, buyer beware, I'd trust an auto-parts store first, and it might be local to you !

mhavanti

Threads
These are good filters and work fine on my Kawasaki. I run it like I stole it and won't suggest a bad part to anyone.

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW: If you are under warranty, you may wanna use the correct Kaw filter. My Dealers head tech warned me of this.

mhavanti

Threads
I co-owned Hughes Auto Parts, Inc. for over 40 years. We were distributors that services 5 states and parts of others. In the U.S. it is illegal for any company to require a customer to use a particular brand of product over another as long as your chosen brand meets or exceeds the Society of Automotive Engineers products. Harley-Davidson, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Kubota and the names are too numerous to list have lost law suits leveled against them for demanding a customer pay exorbitant prices for their branded filters, lubricants, etc.

Remember, Kawasaki, Kubota, Kohler, Briggs-Stratton or any other motor company makes filters, belts, hoses, batteries etc. They purchase them with their names labeled on them and set the specifications for each item they want to use in the manufacture of their machinery.

You can purchase from any filter manufacturer and have your label and boxing on them. I had three brands specific to our territories and our filters exceeded all manufacturer's specifications. Each of the manufacturers tried to talk us out of exceeding the auto, mower, motorcycle, truck or other manufacturer's specs because of the cost. However, when introducing an aftermarket brand, you better have something other than price to sell.

At any length, all any of you need to be sure of is the specifications are there. You can cut a filter apart (not that expensive if you want to check them out before you put the filter into service) and check out any claims by the seller. Such as anti-drain back valve, relief valve, micron paper, cotton, etc.

Not many folks wants to buy your mower so they'll generally provide the product you're purchasing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Kawasaki tried that out on 2 of my customers where I had fitted a Gripski & Sons filter on one and a Stens on another.
So I just referred the matter to the filter suppliers and one customer got a new head the other a new engine.
In both cases the single bolt that holds the rocker mechanism in place came loose allowing the pushrods to drop into the engine.
Both from the same dealer and both went back to the same dealer for their first "in warranty" service who did not check the valve lash.
This was obvious by the lack of any marks on the retaining bolts or rocker covers.
They got a thorough 2 page report on the engines, damage & cause.
I got an invite to the Kawakasi service school and am looking forward to hanging another shingle on the wall.

mhavanti

Threads
Bert,

Up here in the U.S., not many of the big boys will fight a lawsuit over products meeting specifications as they've lost so many times and the money they spent on litigation has always gone way over the awards the courts have bestowed on the claimants. Not to mention it would have been cheaper to have replaced their defective workmanship and materials for the customer rather than trying to hang it on another brand item or the servicing dealer or repair shop.

Glad you came out the pretty smelling end of that stick.

Hope your day is going well.

Max

L454S

Threads
Fram Ultra XG4967 and Shell Rotella 15/40 once a year. Something about 40 hrs.