Oil Filter for a Kawasaki FX 691

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kawasaki tried that out on 2 of my customers where I had fitted a Gripski & Sons filter on one and a Stens on another.
So I just referred the matter to the filter suppliers and one customer got a new head the other a new engine.
In both cases the single bolt that holds the rocker mechanism in place came loose allowing the pushrods to drop into the engine.
Both from the same dealer and both went back to the same dealer for their first "in warranty" service who did not check the valve lash.
This was obvious by the lack of any marks on the retaining bolts or rocker covers.
They got a thorough 2 page report on the engines, damage & cause.
I got an invite to the Kawakasi service school and am looking forward to hanging another shingle on the wall.

Bert-
Where does it say in the paperwork supplied to owners that the Kawasaki powered mower Must come in for "In Warranty Service" including valve lash adj ?

I spoke to my Dealer in detail about the maintenance of this engine, when I bought it 8/20/14 & every year since.

And I even spoke to Kaw tech on the phone yesterday, he said be sure to set lash at 300 hours. Nothing about early checks, unless you hear abnormal ticking.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Down here the first oil change & service which is between 5 & 10 hours is a free service ( labour is free parts are not).
Mowers down here have a stipulated minimum warranty period of 12 months. regardless of useage .
Thus part of the first service is to check all fasteners including the valve lash.
After that it is as you have been told 300 hour intervals.
Got this mixed up.
Kawasaki first service is at 50 hours and it is a free ( labour only ) service and must be done by a qualified service technician, not the home owner , otherwise the warranty can be voided.

Last edited:

mhavanti

Threads
I must make a correction to my comment about motor companies and making their filters, belts, hoses and engine oils, lubricants, etc. Somehow, I managed to leave out the word "doesn't" make. They do not make their own.

PS,

Saw a video about using a particular hydro filter for a fairly high end zero turn. When you look up the brand, they are made in China and their micron filtration is 28, the hydro manufacturer calls for 10 microns.

The filters were knock offs and did NOT meet manufacturer specifications.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down here the first oil change & service which is between 5 & 10 hours is a free service ( labour is free parts are not).
Mowers down here have a stipulated minimum warranty period of 12 months. regardless of useage .
Thus part of the first service is to check all fasteners including the valve lash.
After that it is as you have been told 300 hour intervals.
Got this mixed up.
Kawasaki first service is at 50 hours and it is a free ( labour only ) service and must be done by a qualified service technician, not the home owner , otherwise the warranty can be voided.

Bert- Thanks, Interesting, here warranty is 3 years, unlimited hours (unless commercial use).
And warranty (I'm told) can't be voided by a competent homeowner doing the service at proper intervals. And Kaw says nothing about 50 hour valve lash adjust, spoke to them by phone again today. And mine is getting valve lash check & adjust as needed by Dealer.

Kaw also told me I don't have to use their multi-grade 10w-40 oil, since I never used ANY oil till I switched from 30w to that multi-grade. So I'm gonna switch back to a 30w again.

BCuz

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK y'all, I'm the OP. I went by my dealer (about 25 miles away) and bought their replacement, a Rotary part # 19-5909. This is a little deeper/longer than the original stubby KAW. Should be easier to access ... the stubby KAW had a little challenge to get a filter wrench on it.

One thing I discovered that I didn't like was the drain plug was plastic. I sure wish it was cast iron ... definitely no torquing the plastic!

Love my KAW engines, I've always bought Kohler and Honda.

Thanks all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is one of the reasons why I use pumps down the dip stick tube,
So much cleaner, quicker, easier and no chance of filling the engine with the sump plug out , breaking it, cross threading it or leaving it too lose.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK y'all, I'm the OP. I went by my dealer (about 25 miles away) and bought their replacement, a Rotary part # 19-5909. This is a little deeper/longer than the original stubby KAW. Should be easier to access ... the stubby KAW had a little challenge to get a filter wrench on it.

One thing I discovered that I didn't like was the drain plug was plastic. I sure wish it was cast iron ... definitely no torquing the plastic!

Love my KAW engines, I've always bought Kohler and Honda.

Thanks all.

OP- sorry for the sidetrack.:ashamed:

For the oil filter, I have a poly 'cup socket' that fits the filters hex perfectly, I got it for Harley oil filters years ago, but fits Kaw filters perfectly. Got it from auto parts store. It has a 6 point socket head on it so you can add a 1" socket / long extension & ratchet, & quick removal of filter.

Plus for the drain plug, my 1st oil change I found the hex/screwdriver slot drain to be barely hand tight. Unacceptable, so I made it carefully tight ever since, but I dug around my shop & found end plugs, just plain old rubber or plastic end caps, & I fitted one one over the drain bolt housing & cut it down so it bottoms out on the bolt, that baby ain't backing out, & one one on the exit tube. Simple push on, & simple off as well.

They aren't coming loose, but easy to remove for oil change. & Peace of mind about the drain getting loose mowing. :thumbsup:

zman111666

Threads
If you have the 49065-7007 as the original use Wix 57035, according to http://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com. It's the same one, incidentally, that is used on most riding mowers with Briggs engines. For extra capacity I use 51348. Same specs but longer, more capacity, and half the price, due to less demand.
If it's a 49065-7010, go with Wix 51394 or 51395

turboawd

Threads
Home depot stocks these filters usually if that helps

mhavanti

Threads
BCuz,

You can replace the plastic drain extension with a 3/8" pipe nipple and use a 3/8" pipe cap thereafter. There are also other items you can use to modify the drain and make it a bit easier. Just run down to the hardware and put together a combo you think you'll like.

Have fun,

Max