Sand Blades on a Scag

BrentW

Threads
I recently bought a new tiger cat2 61 inch mower with a 29 hp efi motor. I love everything about it except the insane amount of dust that it generates. I am in the south cutting yard grass at 2.5 inches. I have looked at sand blades that will give me a lot less lift and dirt but wonder if they will drastically change my cut quality. Anyone got any experience with this blades or have a suggestion for dust control?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can raise the deck to 3.0 to 3.5 for a much healther lawn. Low lift blades will give you a very uneven cut and you will hate it. If it is your lawn then water it a couple of hours before you mow that will keep down the dust. One real problem with a Ztr is they by design are dusty mowers. Very little can be done about it.

BrentW

Threads
All my grass is just common grass and it is good and green. It seems to like about 2 inches plus my wife has a miniature dog that gets soaking wet in the mornings from dew if it gets very much taller. I am trying to go up another .25 inch as the hot weather sets in. I wish I could wet the place down first but it is 4 acres. I think I will stay away from the sand blades now. I looked at gator blades but didn't know how they would work without the discharge shoot being blocked.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I side discharge with my gator blades and it does better than factory high lift blades.

BrentW

Threads
Do they last as long as the factory blade and how do the cut?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
They are thicker and heaver. 3 pair last me all season when 6 pair of factory would normally last a season.

BrentW

Threads
Got some ordered. They are quite a bit cheaper that the Scag blades. Thanks for the input.

BrentW

Threads
I raised my deck to 2.5 as suggested and put some gator g6 blades on today. Wow what a cut! Still dusty as heck but those blades are awesome. They are 3 inches wide and a full .25 thick with carbide infused to the bottom side of the cutting edge. They are much heavier than the original and if they hold up like I think they will I will never go back. $60 at set of 3 shipped.