What is the best string trimmer?

Mike88se

Threads
Give me a good idea about the string trimmer

The last one you used that worked I guess :) I don't know if there is a best but if nobody has mentioned it there are some to steer clear of. Weedeater, Ryobi, and Craftsman to name a few. I've been using a Tanaka tbc255pf for a few years. Light, powerful enough for most jobs, and dependable. I wish the speedfeed heads would fit it but no big deal.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I did not say above is that we use the Echo PAS units. We have two PAS 225's and two PAS 266's. We use them primarily as string trimmers but also have a couple of edger attachments that we use as well as a pole saw and a hedge trimmer attachment.

This is a real money saver because it saves me having to have two edgers on the trailer. Of course when you have two and run commercial you will need a backup. Also it saves space in the trailer as it is already packed to the gills with equipment.

If I were going to buy a trimmer for home use I would think that the PAS 225 would be more than sufficient. It definitely gets the job done with a minor amount of down time.

neetan

Threads
Just bought the new shindaiwa 262x now with the solid shaft. Use to have the echo 1501 lasted 27years with only filters and sparkplug change. Now on the last take apart I broke the bolt for the head ~ my bad ~ engine is still good but now time for a new one. 262x will cut thru grass that is 4 feet high with no issue other than the grass getting stuck between the head and the shaft. Came with the clip for blade but why spend the extra 45$
Came with a 5 yr warranty, who know I may have till I go LOL

wilburn cox

Threads
I have a Ryobi professional model 2079r which I purchased from Lowes about twenty years ago. I do my own maintenance and only problem I have had is the fuel tank sprang a leak. A friend here in Stephenville Tx repair shop ordered a tank from an Echo and I made it fit. I have cleaned carb, replaced filter and fuel lines a few times but the thing still runs strong. We have 4 acres, lots of oak trees. I trim around each tree, around the house, shop and fences without a problem. A lady friend of ours borrowed it for a few days. Her Echo is in my friend's shop.If this thing ever goes south I will likely buy and Echo. Most people hate Ryobi's but I keep it cleaned maintained and it has held up.
Red Cox
Everyone have a fantastic day

Mike88se

Threads
I have a Ryobi professional model 2079r which I purchased from Lowes about twenty years ago. I do my own maintenance and only problem I have had is the fuel tank sprang a leak. A friend here in Stephenville Tx repair shop ordered a tank from an Echo and I made it fit. I have cleaned carb, replaced filter and fuel lines a few times but the thing still runs strong. We have 4 acres, lots of oak trees. I trim around each tree, around the house, shop and fences without a problem. A lady friend of ours borrowed it for a few days. Her Echo is in my friend's shop.If this thing ever goes south I will likely buy and Echo. Most people hate Ryobi's but I keep it cleaned maintained and it has held up.
Red Cox
Everyone have a fantastic day

Kudos to you my friend for keeping that Ryobi going :thumbsup: If I had to choose a worst trimmer it would be Homelite.
I also have an Echo PAS w/ string trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer attachment. I use the edger attachment 99.9% of the time. I don't trim many hedges but that part works fine. The string trimmer attachment is nice to have as a backup to the Tanaka.