What is the best string trimmer?

angela

Forum Newbie
Threads
Give me a good idea about the string trimmer

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
it's all about what you like, they are mostly throw away units these days, if you get three years out of them you are lucky, I have had john deere, cubcadet, sthil, Echo and troybilt.....the Echo is still going strong, had it about 4 years now....above average..........I use it to keep weeds down around the fence posts, I have 2 acres fenced and it take about two hours to walk and trim, the echo needs a fill up twice during this. also all mine where the bent shaft style, the john deere was a straight shaft which is good for my height, but then no one else would use it because it was too long

rccsofla

Threads
I have an echo I've had for over 5 years now. I weed eat approx, 2-3 hours a week.Can't say anything negative about the unit.Would buy another.

helomech

Threads
i have a echo SRM-280T and I love it. Very powerful, very little vibration, and works every time. Just wish it had a quick change for the string trimmer to saw blade.

Homer1

Threads
Echo's pretty popular around here. Stihl probably 2nd most popular. They are just better units than anything at the big box stores.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
We are running all Echos. I have five. I would not consider going to anything else. I ran two Stihls and did not have that great of results with them. I have three 266's and two 225's. I ran a 280 a few years ago but I did not have success with it. For some reason we had carburetor problems with it. Finally gave it back and they gave me another one and it was the same way. On the other hand the 266's and 225's have served me well.

One strong point that the Echo has that the Stihl units did not have is the Speed Feed Head. You can wind new string on it and be running in seconds without having to take untying apart.

cruzenmike

Threads
I have had a Ryobi 2-cycle string trimmer (SS26) for 7 summers now, caring for a 1/4 acre property for 6 of them and a 3 acre property now. I also use the power head for an edger attachment and a blower attachment. Not one problem to this day! Nothing you spend $100 or more on should be considered a "throw-away" although if you spend more you certainly increases your chances of having a more reliable piece of equipment; that is if you are spending that extra money on something commercial-oriented.

Homer1

Threads
We are running all Echos. I have five. I would not consider going to anything else. I ran two Stihls and did not have that great of results with them. I have three 266's and two 225's. I ran a 280 a few years ago but I did not have success with it. For some reason we had carburetor problems with it. Finally gave it back and they gave me another one and it was the same way. On the other hand the 266's and 225's have served me well.

One strong point that the Echo has that the Stihl units did not have is the Speed Feed Head. You can wind new string on it and be running in seconds without having to take untying apart.

Yes yes, what he said. The speed feed head, also available aftermarket an accessory on most any trimmer, is an absolute lifesaver!

If you've not used one, you don't know what your missing.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes yes, what he said. The speed feed head, also available aftermarket an accessory on most any trimmer, is an absolute lifesaver!

If you've not used one, you don't know what your missing.

Absolutely, it is probably not reccomeded nor safe, :p but I many times rethread mine and do not even shut it down. Just stand it on the end, feed string in, wind it up, and change ends and go back to running.

I have had people tell me that they would not run .205 line too but that is the only thing we run in them.

I have run them till the stain holes were long grooves instead of holes and they keep on feeding. We replace the bottom covers every few weeks and keep on running them.

Excellent product.

Bleach

Threads
I bought a Maruyama BCGX 31 string trimmer in 7/99 and it still is working strong. The reason I bought this particular trimmer is that it has a Honda 31cc 4 strong engine. It's been as dependable as a shovel. I haven't had to do anything to it except change the oil and clean the air filter. It starts on 2nd or 3rd pull when I've taken it out of storage. I can also use a brush cutter blade with it. I use one that looks like a heavy duty saw blade that's made locally. It's my favorite and best garden implement. It cost just over $500 back in 1999. So compared to others buying a trimmer every 5 or so years this was a bargain.
I don't know if they are still available.