8 HP Briggs and Stratton problems with surging and almost dieing

Vortec325

Threads
  • / 8 HP Briggs and Stratton problems with surging and almost dieing
It doesn't really backfire bad but it does cough threw the carb while it's running . Sometimes it will backfire when you start it and it first fires . Yeah I had a new breather on the shelf so I stuck it on earlier to eliminate a base pressure build up and saw that both valves are working . They seem kinda noisy when running but I saw no way to adjust them

Threads
A lil noisy you say. Hmmmmm You might have a seat that came loose. One sure fire way to check it would be to take the head off.

5 bux for new gasket is all it's gonna cost you.

That engine is worth rebuilding. I think that one is a I/C type engine with a iron bore cylinder.

I hate say this, but if the seats are in place well, you can get a aftermarket OUCH carb and try that..

The china carbs are cheap and usually with free shipping..........

Threads
Before you go pulling the head off check the flywheel key first. Make sure to take the wheel off and look at the key well.

I seen in post 12 that you said the plug would be black. That is a symptom of a leaky valve.

(They seem kinda noisy when running but I saw no way to adjust them) That is your post or part of it. So yes there is a way to adjust them. I would relap them if your seats are in good shape. Then check the gap between the tappits and the valve stem.

If they don't have the right gap then you have to grind the stems down, taking very little off at one time. If you have hardly no gap then the valves cannot seat properly and hence are kinda open at all times.

Vortec325

Threads
Ok , I'll check the fly wheel key . But you might be on to something with the valve seat . The plug is very black and it got that way in a matter of minutes . When I used it the other day for the first time (been sitting for YEARS, atleast 6 that I know of) I run some mixed gas threw it but in order for it to start and get prime I put a a squirt of starting fluid in the plug hole and hand tightend the plug . Well I forgot to tighten it down snug and after a few minutes of running there was oil that seemed to be coming from the spark plug whole . When I took the plug out to look at it, the combustion chamber is very oily and has a lot of carbon compared to my other similar motor . So it could very well be a valve seat . You happen to know the valve specs by chance ?

Threads
Our whole area with Charter went down for a hour or so.

No Phone Internet Nada.

Sorry for the late response. Check that key first and let us know.

That is an awesome machine right there dat you got Mon Ami. I would love to have dat down here. LOL

Too much shipping though for me.....

If ya'll ever vacation down here in Cajun Country stop by and we will cook some great Cajun food and play some some great Cajun music for ya'll.

I do a Cajun music show with Todd on Thursday evenings sometimes and we cook at the station sometimes. I can get you on the air as a guest if you want to talk on the mike.

KBON 101.1 FM down load the app on your phone and listen live for free or just go yo KBON on your home PC and listen live.....

Vortec325

Threads
I'll have to check it out when I get some free time . No worry on the late response . It's 3:30 am here so I'm just getting up for work . I'll check that key way today I hope and report back

Vortec325

Threads
I took the pull start and shroud off but before I pull the flywheel I got a few questions . First , I can see the key is in the key way and doesn't look messed up . Do I still need to pull it off ? And if so should I pull the coil off ? What's the gap for the coil and lastly the magnets on the flywheel are kinda rusty . Would it work better if i cleaned them up?

Threads
Go ahead and pull the flywheel, then clean the magnets the coil gap you can use a business card for that.

Get the magnets lined up with coil. The mags will suck the coil tight. Press on the coil towards the flywheel and tighten the 2 bolts.

The reason I say to pull the fly is some people will look at the half of the key and say it's good. They are forgetting to look at the other half in the shaft.

Vortec325

Threads
Ok thanks for the wisdom ??

Threads
One more question for you. Does it seem like it good compression when you pull the rope or half good.

Is it easy to pull are hard ?