Major transmission issue, need help

tkruger

Threads
My 1980 Simplicity 5116 had its transmission go last weekend, I know it is not repairable. Rest of the mower has no rust, motor recently rebuilt etc. What other mowers would have the same transmission or what other transmissions will fit in this tractor? The one from the factory was a Peerless 801. I am hoping to fix rather than replace if at all possible.

801.JPG

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
that is what I call "blown up Sir!"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What makes you think you can not get parts ?
When Tecumseh went belly up Peerless split off.
Most parts are available.
I think the factory that makes parts is still running but they are no longer supplying boxes for new mowers.
I have no problems getting parts for them.
If the bits of the case that broke away are large most alloy welding shops will be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again provided you clean all the grease out.
New cases are available but not cheap.
almost every mower repair shop will have racks full of old trannys .
Must be repair shop not glass front new mower shop, they send repairable mowers to scrap metal merchants to make yo buy a new mower , from them.

The best site for information is http://peerlessgearboxspares.co.uk/part-lists-and-manuals/ as they list them by Peerless numbers
You can get the same information from http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Peerless-Transmissions-Transaxles-Differentials-Gear-Boxs/ but they are listed by the peerless file numbers.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
those are good links you provided Bert.

OP.....you live in NY, there must be at least 20 old mower repair shops near you........NJ,NY and PA are breeding grounds for lawn mower scrap yards and Mom/Pop style repair shops.....hit the directory up and start making phone calls, I am sure you will find that trans

tkruger

Threads
I was unable to find anyone dealing with Simplicity. Apparently they are just not that popular in my area apparently. What I did find is that John Deere used the same transmission from 1985 to 1989 with slightly longer axles. I received a used on of Craigslist for $60 out of a JD 160. Will just need to make some spacers and I will up and running just with a wider rear stance.

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
that's the spirit! keep moving forward