Toro Recycler with Tecumseh will not restart after hot.

TGMcCallie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Toro Recycler with Tecumseh will not restart after hot.
Model 20074 Engine Tecumseh LV1905EA will not restart after being cut off while engine is hot.

It starts perfectly while cold but will not restart after being cut off when it is Hot. You have to wait for the engine to cool off before it will start again.
You can cut if off before it gets hot and it starts fine.

I had it in the shop and they put in a new spark plug and I am sure they did not let it get hot and try to restart it because they did not fix the problem.

I took it back to them and they refused to work on it. They stated that a Tecumseh engine was a problem and did not want to work on it. There is nothing else mechanically wrong with this Toro Recycler mower other than it will not restart when hot. I purchased the mower in 2007.

I need any information about why this is happening.

This is my first post on this forum.

Thanks for any help.

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

Check for spark, after letting it get hot. The coil may be defective.

Regards

Jeff

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need a red inline spark tester and a can of starter fluid.
Run it till till it is hot and is playing up.
Install the spark tester and crank the engine
No red flashes = electrical problem
If it flashes give it a squirt of starter fluid
Fires up = fuel problem

Let us know how you go then we can guide you through more complex testing proceedures.

tkruger

Threads
I had a frakenmower with this issue (Murry mower, Craftsman B&S engine and MTD deck). This issue was fuel. The fuel line ran to close to the block. When hot it would get bubbles in it and stop the flow of fuel. It would sometimes run rough after a long run and would not restart till it cooled down. Moving the fuel line fixed that.

helomech

Threads
I had a frakenmower with this issue (Murry mower, Craftsman B&S engine and MTD deck). This issue was fuel. The fuel line ran to close to the block. When hot it would get bubbles in it and stop the flow of fuel. It would sometimes run rough after a long run and would not restart till it cooled down. Moving the fuel line fixed that.

Ding ding ding, I had the same issue with a chainsaw. Fuel would basically boil in the carb/fuel lines. Once it cooled off a bit it would run fine. Brought it to the dealer and they figured it out after a while.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Common problem with these engines, replace the coil, problem solved. Your coil is either hot opening or hot shorting.