Tecumseh LV195EA

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just acquired a Tecumseh Mod. LV195EA engine from an old 'White' mower. The engine is free, (can be turned over) and I'm wondering if they are a worthy engine to mess with.

It is a SPEC: 362048C Engine Family 5TPXS.1951BC

Rated (by Tecumseh) at 6.75 HP.. 195cc...

Any idiosyncrasies with them I should know about before hauling it apart?

Thanks in advance for any information offered.

Roger B

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just acquired a Tecumseh Mod. LV195EA engine from an old 'White' mower. The engine is free, (can be turned over) and I'm wondering if they are a worthy engine to mess with.

It is a SPEC: 362048C Engine Family 5TPXS.1951BC

Rated (by Tecumseh) at 6.75 HP.. 195cc...

Any idiosyncrasies with them I should know about before hauling it apart?

Thanks in advance for any information offered.

Roger B

Personally I would purchase a HIGH-TEMP furnace, an ANVIL and associated tools, THEN melt it down and forge it into block-planes and beautiful chisels !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

( SORRY Goomba ...sometimes I just can't help myself !! )

primerbulb120

Threads
The LV195EA is nothing special, but if you have it, you might as well try to get it running. It will probably need a new carburetor and a good gas tank cleaning to make it run. Its carburetor is cheaper to replace than to rebuild, but make sure you get an OEM one as the aftermarket ones are junk. The part number is 640350, and I would recommend purchasing it from Green Dade Outdoor on eBay to ensure that you get a genuine part. (Some sellers will advertise OEM and ship an aftermarket part.)

Clyde

willys55

Lawn Addict
Threads
The LV195EA is nothing special, but if you have it, you might as well try to get it running. It will probably need a new carburetor and a good gas tank cleaning to make it run. Its carburetor is cheaper to replace than to rebuild, but make sure you get an OEM one as the aftermarket ones are junk. The part number is 640350, and I would recommend purchasing it from Green Dade Outdoor on eBay to ensure that you get a genuine part. (Some sellers will advertise OEM and ship an aftermarket part.)

Clyde

that has happened to me, so good advice

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Personally I would purchase a HIGH-TEMP furnace, an ANVIL and associated tools, THEN melt it down and forge it into block-planes and beautiful chisels !! ..:laughing:..:laughing:

( SORRY Goomba ...sometimes I just can't help myself !! )

You would have to add a lot of carbon to a steel anvil as most plane irons are high carbon steel which takes a better edge than the alloy tool steels

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You would have to add a lot of carbon to a steel anvil as most plane irons are high carbon steel which takes a better edge than the alloy tool steels

Actually Bert I meant he should melt the Tecumseh down, I didn't clarify it enough,BUT I know he knows what I mean...:laughing:..:laughing:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You may not need a new carburetor give the one you have a good clean out and then try it, parts list are available on the internet, if you can't find it give me a PM

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
All you guys never cease to amaze me! Even when you're fooling around you provide good, useful information..

As my entry into this field has simply been for my own edification, and where I have no use for a vertical shaft engine at the moment, I doubt I will spend much (if any) money to get this engine running. Assuming I can get the recoil starter to function and am able to get it to produce a spark once things are cleaned up and it's turning over, then I may take the carb apart and clean it. Where it may go from there is unknown at this point. But there is satisfaction in making something run, that didn't.

The longer I hang around with you guys, the more I realize that there is far - FAR - more to the proper operation of an engine than I ever realized. The old saw - "All you need is air, fuel and spark" - is simplistic almost to a fault. Just reading about Bert-Man's submersion into the depths of the concrete saw's engine he's laboring over, indicates just how utterly ignorant I am in these matters. I stand in awe - (well, sit actually) - of all you guys.. People who come on this forum and don't appreciate the expertise that is available to them, are shortsighted...

Me? Hell, I'm just having a grand time and appreciate the fact that you guys will play along. A little levity goes a long way in improving anyone's day..

Best wishes to All Hands!

Zero Bubble,

Roger

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All you guys never cease to amaze me! Even when you're fooling around you provide good, useful information..

As my entry into this field has simply been for my own edification, and where I have no use for a vertical shaft engine at the moment, I doubt I will spend much (if any) money to get this engine running. Assuming I can get the recoil starter to function and am able to get it to produce a spark once things are cleaned up and it's turning over, then I may take the carb apart and clean it. Where it may go from there is unknown at this point. But there is satisfaction in making something run, that didn't.

The longer I hang around with you guys, the more I realize that there is far - FAR - more to the proper operation of an engine than I ever realized. The old saw - "All you need is air, fuel and spark" - is simplistic almost to a fault. Just reading about Bert-Man's submersion into the depths of the concrete saw's engine he's laboring over, indicates just how utterly ignorant I am in these matters. I stand in awe - (well, sit actually) - of all you guys.. People who come on this forum and don't appreciate the expertise that is available to them, are shortsighted...

Me? Hell, I'm just having a grand time and appreciate the fact that you guys will play along. A little levity goes a long way in improving anyone's day..

Best wishes to All Hands!

Zero Bubble,

Roger

%Tell me about it.
I can put together a 100 year old motorcycle without a problem , making or modifing parts as required.
So I thought this mower fixing thing would be a walk in the park.
Turned out to be a life & death survival quest in the deepest darkest forest.

Roger B

Lawn Addict
Threads
Final update.

The parts (springs) inside the recoil starter were rusted away and the more I looked at the engine, the less inclined I was to work on it.. It's going to the dump... (To be recycled of course, hopefully into something useful!)

Thanks guys... Now it off to find something else more interesting..

Roger