Dumb dipstick question

mudpie

Threads
I picked up a free mower on craigslist, mostly just for the motor. I'm checking the oil and stuff, getting ready to fire it up, and I can't figure out what this dipstick on the right is for, or even how to get it out for that matter.

dipstick1.jpg

So I look at the top, and what is supposed to be a universal symbol of some kind isn't telling me much. I've tried to twist it, push it, pull it, and nothing happens. I don't want to break it. I'm sure there's an obvious answer, but I'm just not seeing it.

dipstick2.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I picked up a free mower on craigslist, mostly just for the motor. I'm checking the oil and stuff, getting ready to fire it up, and I can't figure out what this dipstick on the right is for, or even how to get it out for that matter.

View attachment 33752

So I look at the top, and what is supposed to be a universal symbol of some kind isn't telling me much. I've tried to twist it, push it, pull it, and nothing happens. I don't want to break it. I'm sure there's an obvious answer, but I'm just not seeing it.

View attachment 33753

Any thoughts appreciated

I've never actually seen one, BUT, I would guess if you traced it down, you will find it most likely goes to the bottom side of the engine housing, if so, its an oil drain tube , VERY handy ,the symbol even denotes (at least to me ) that's exactly what it is, NO... I dont know how the cap is removed , but I'm sure if you look in the engines owners operating instructions you will find it ! ( I would think it does unscrew though, maybe Mr. Muscles tightened it last time )..:laughing:

mudpie

Threads
Ah....a drain. That makes sense. Seems an odd setup though. I'll have to investigate further. Thanks for the suggestion.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ah....a drain. That makes sense. Seems an odd setup though. I'll have to investigate further. Thanks for the suggestion.

Please keep me updated, I'm really curious , might try heating the cap with a heat gun ..GENTLY ..DON"T deform it, it's a real time saver if it is a drain !!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be a 1/4 turn bayonette fitting so push it in hard and turn 1/4 turn then pull off.
It will either have a very stiff spring behind it or a tight fitting O ring

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Should be a 1/4 turn bayonette fitting so push it in hard and turn 1/4 turn then pull off.
It will either have a very stiff spring behind it or a tight fitting O ring

I was gonna call you about this drain line cap Bert, .. BUT, ...I lost your number and I heard you're in discussions with Clyde , somethin bout a saw that he's gonna fix or something along those lines .?? ..:laughing: ..:laughing: ..:laughing:

mudpie

Threads
I knew it was going to turn out being a dumb question. So it's got a little clip on it...push down to release it. It's a rubber hose, for draining oil. What threw me off was not looking at it close enough and realizing it was flexible. I thought it was a metal tube.

Thanks for the input.

dipstick3.jpg

dipstick4.jpg

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I knew it was going to turn out being a dumb question. So it's got a little clip on it...push down to release it. It's a rubber hose, for draining oil. What threw me off was not looking at it close enough and realizing it was flexible. I thought it was a metal tube.

Thanks for the input.

View attachment 33785

View attachment 33786

You're welcome and thanks for the update , Happy mowing !!