Hustler Z Wont Start - Low Voltage

jseibert87

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! First of all, thank you to anyone who chooses to help :) Now on to my problem:
I have a Hustler Z Model# 927251 with a Honda motor. I'm having issues with it intermittently starting/turning over. I can hit the key repeatedly and sometimes tap on the starter and it will go ahead and turn over but rarely will it turn over without tapping or repeated key tries. I've attached a wiring diagram for the unit, i've checked voltage and i'm only getting 6-8volts at the starter on the small red/black wire when under load (IE trying to turn over). Tracing it back, it seems there's not really a huge voltage drop in any one place, just seems to drop a .5 volt or a volt at several switch/connection locations. This is only a problem under load, when not under load i get over 12 volts all the way to the start relay. I tried to document my measurements but phone died so rough remembering of voltage measurements under load are:
red cable at starter from battery - 11-12 volts
red cable going from battery to fuse and on to ignition switch - 11.X volts at fuse and ignition switch
orange cable coming ignition switch - upper 10 volts to lower 11 volts
tan cable coming out of clutch switch - upper 9 to lower 10 volts
tan cable connected to neutral switches (these are the switches that ensure the machine is not engaged to move)- 7-9 volts
red/black cable going from start relay to starter - 6-8volts

Things i've tried:
New fuses
unattaching and reattaching most if not all of the connections at relays and switches
Used a push button start connector to connect two terminals on starter, push button and it fires up every time.
Taken starter/solenoid in and had them tested, all tested good.
I've tried swapping all three relays (run, kill, start) and none of that makes a difference.
I've tried jumpering the neutral switches and the seat switch, doesn't make a difference.
I've tried jumpering from clutch switch where TAN cable goes to neutral switch and from there jumpered over to start relay where tan cable comes in (bypassing neutral switches, i still had the old cabling hooked up while doing this just had jumper in place also) and i got a little more voltage at starter (i think 8-9) and it seemed to want to start nearly every time but still low voltage.

I've spent quite a number of hours troubleshooting it at this point and i'm kind of at a loss from what i can tell i'm just losing a little voltage everywhere until it's low enough it wont turn over, i'm not an electrical expert but seems to indicate to me that maybe several connections are dirty/need cleaned maybe? I've also considered maybe the key switch is bad, it acts weird when trying to turn it on sometimes (ie it sticks or turns funny for lack of a better way to describe it). I've also considered maybe the module marked as DELAY in the wiring diagram is causing some issue, the gray cable that connects to the start relay is only showing 2.7-3.0 volts. Everything else i've found should be 12v i think but that's not, not sure if that's normal or has anything to do with this but seemed noteworthy.

If it would be helpful i can go out and document actual voltages and throw them up here, thanks again in advance to any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 13

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Start by replacing the key switch when they go they go
All of the others will need a heavy spray with WD 40 then work the switch plungers then more WD 40 to clean out the crud.
Or by some new ones and hire a contortionist to replace them.
ZTR's are really hard on switches more so if you mulch.
Clean up the main ground at the mower then paint over it with Liquid Electricial Tape