Kohler small engine XT6.75 cam and crank timing

jgmbigblock

Forum Newbie
Threads
After popping off the bottom cover, the cam gear had slipped off the crank gear. The cam has a timing dot pressed into it, but the crank does not. The cam has a dot of white paint over the timing dot as well. There was not a pressed in dot on any of the crank teeth, and if there was a paint dot, it is long gone. The crank has what looks like small insert grooves in the shaft itself. Hoping that someone out there could take a pic of the crank for an xt6.75 that still has the timing mark on it. That way I could figure out what tooth should have the timing mark in relation to what looks like the 2 small key type insert grooves in the shaft. Or, anything else to determine the correct timing tooth on the crank would be greatly appreciated.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
The mark will not be on the teeth but above a grove. Tooth to grove.

jgmbigblock

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mark will not be on the teeth but above a grove. Tooth to grove.
Sorry for not being more clear. There is no mark whatsoever on either a tooth or groove, on either side of the crank gear. I was hoping that maybe someone working on a similar model, could take a pic after the bottom cover is removed showing the relationship between the cam and crank gears. I was hoping through a pic, that I could figure out which tooth or groove is the proper one, in relation to other markings that are on the crank. For instance, there looks like what appears to be a couple shallow keyways in the shaft itself. I know they're not actually keyways, but they kinda look like them. If I could figure out what tooth or groove is the proper one in relation to these marks, I could get this mower running.

jgmbigblock

Forum Newbie
Threads
Service Manual. It will go over how to do the timing.
http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/14_690_01_EN.pdf

Unfortunately, I've downloaded that manual a while ago. All it says in terms of timing the cam and crank is line up the marks. Again, there is a mark on the cam gear, but there are 'no' marks whatsoever on either side of the crank gear. I really could use a picture from someone who has taken off the bottom cover of the engine, but not disassembled anything else yet. I need to figure out where the tooth or groove is in relation to the keyway markings on the crankshaft itself. It is my belief that the original mark on the crank was a paint dot only. This is no longer present. Can anyone help with a pic?

Matthew196

Forum Newbie
Threads
After popping off the bottom cover, the cam gear had slipped off the crank gear. The cam has a timing dot pressed into it, but the crank does not. The cam has a dot of white paint over the timing dot as well. There was not a pressed in dot on any of the crank teeth, and if there was a paint dot, it is long gone. The crank has what looks like small insert grooves in the shaft itself. Hoping that someone out there could take a pic of the crank for an xt6.75 that still has the timing mark on it. That way I could figure out what tooth should have the timing mark in relation to what looks like the 2 small key type insert grooves in the shaft. Or, anything else to determine the correct timing tooth on the crank would be greatly appreciated.
I will tell you on the XT675-2011 engines there is a washer that is on the crankshaft COVERING UP the timing mark!! SO BEWARE of that!! I'm betting this will resolve your issues finding the timing mark! As this fooled us as well till we looked into it more! Yes make sure there is no washer on top of the crankshaft as this will fool you as it covers up the timing mark!