Toro 6.5 hp self propelled won't stay running

originalswampfox

Threads
spsu00,

Below is a link to rebuilding a 6.5 quantum carb. video. Maybe it will explain the things I am trying to. Did putting gas on the air filter help. A lot of people on this site use starting fluid instead of gas but you have to go to the auto parts a buy some. I comes in a aerosol spray can. It is easier to use. check out the video and let us know.

‪Briggs and Stratton Quantum- fuel system problems‬‏ - YouTube

mvp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having the exact same problem with 2 of these exact same Toro motors. I am also a single gal with no money to have it repaired. I have taken them completley apart, cleaned everything, replaced gaskets and they either won't start or will start and run for less than 2 seconds. I just tried the gas on the air filter and it ran for longer. this video isn't helping because I have a Toro and I need to see how to work on my engine. I'm not an expert at small engine repair.

mowerbeast

Threads
Sounds like the Carburator needs cleaning/replacement.

mvp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I cleaned the carb and got it running again. Got the front yard cut and had to remove the air filter to get it started to cut the back. I think the carb def needs to be rebuilt (in both of the identical mowers) but I'm a single mom trying to do it all so hoping I can keep it running until winter and then learn how to rebuild it. Thanks for the tips!

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
have you pulled the bowl off and then then the float with its needle?....how did it look?....pictures help alot:thumbsup:

mvp

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did and it looked ok but I had to replace the gasket. The bowl was a little corroded so I switched it for the one on my other non-functioning Toro that was shiny and new looking. The float was a little stained but the pin looked good. No damage to either. I am going to rebuild the carb this winter because I think it will help (and to prove to myself I can), but for now just cleaning it really well got it running.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
when you rebuilt it...did you soak the carb overnight in carb cleaner?....it makes a huge..huge difference from just blasting it out....the pin i wouldnt worry about...just the needle as pictured:smile:

Attachments

• IMG_0823[2].jpg
    IMG_0823[2].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 22

Albionwood

Threads
When it runs, does it "gallop" - RPMs going up and down even when there is no load? That's usually an indication that the low-speed jet in the carb is partially clogged. That can be tricky to fix. Agree with the recommendation to soak in carb cleaner overnight, then blow out with air.

Sometimes nothing you can do will work - the clog is in a part of the carb that you just can't get at - and it's just time to replace the carb. Which is a lot easier to do than a rebuild, and only a little more expensive, so you might consider just getting a replacement instead of fighting this one.

originalswampfox

Threads
Hey!! you are doing great. Thats what LMF is all about, helping people do things they never believed they could. I'm sure whenever you get to it you can rebuild the carb.:smile::smile: