Ratteling noise coming from my deck

Ahalachis

Threads
I have a new HD 52 which I am very happy with however there are a few quirky issues I seem to have.
The first is a ratteling noise that comes from the left hand side of the deck when to PTO is engauged. It is a very tinny sound like something is loose. It doesn't happen all the time when the PTO is engauged but it happens a lot. It is loud enough that my wife hears it when I am mowing the lawn. It seems like it is comming from the pulley cover on the left hand side of the deck. I looked and nothing is loose. The only thing I see that could be the issue is the spring that runs under that cover however it does not seem to be loose. The noise is anoying and sounds like something is wrong. It does not make it when the mower is not moving so I am not sure if taking it to the dealer would help at this point. Any thoughts?

The other issue I am having is there seems to be a lot of blow through coming from the front of the deck. I checked the level and from what I can tell the tilt on the right hand side (discharge side) is off. It is 1/4 in. lower then the front. The left hand side is even front to back. Other then the blow through the cut is very even and I am very happy with the looks of the lawn so I am hesitant to adjust the level. Should I be concerned contuning to run it like this?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You failed to mention what model number is but this is more general answer so it should not matter. Noise carries so it could be center of deck or left like you think. White lithum spray grease is your friend. Get a can and spray all the pivot points and any slide points on the deck. If this does not quiet your problem it is time to head to dealer. You should adjust your deck from left to right. That is the most important adjustment to the deck there is in my opinion. I will not allow more than 1/8 of an inch difference. I try to always have it the same. If the carpet look on the lawn is important to you the level the deck. If it is not then let it go.

wrede

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Gravely 48Z which sometimes rattles a bit, and it's from the v-belt tensioning springs (two on left side) vibrating on the deck. On mine it's not enough to irritate me, as otherwise I'd figure out a fix, like maybe glue a piece of rubber gasket material under the springs. I have leveled my deck and also shimmed the blades to be exactly even in height. The cut is very good after doing that.

Ahalachis

Threads
You failed to mention what model number is but this is more general answer so it should not matter. Noise carries so it could be center of deck or left like you think. White lithum spray grease is your friend. Get a can and spray all the pivot points and any slide points on the deck. If this does not quiet your problem it is time to head to dealer. You should adjust your deck from left to right. That is the most important adjustment to the deck there is in my opinion. I will not allow more than 1/8 of an inch difference. I try to always have it the same. If the carpet look on the lawn is important to you the level the deck. If it is not then let it go.

The deck is level from side to side. The cut I am getting is perfectly flat. I just seem to get a lot of grass blowing up from the fron of the deck. I am very happy with the cut so I will leave it alone.

Ahalachis

Threads
I have a Gravely 48Z which sometimes rattles a bit, and it's from the v-belt tensioning springs (two on left side) vibrating on the deck. On mine it's not enough to irritate me, as otherwise I'd figure out a fix, like maybe glue a piece of rubber gasket material under the springs. I have leveled my deck and also shimmed the blades to be exactly even in height. The cut is very good after doing that.

That is what I think. It is the spring under the cover.i was think exact,y like you mentioned and putting a rubber spacer around the spring to see if that fixes it. I probably live with the noise as long as I know it is not something wrong.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is the springs you could cut a old garden hose lengthwise and wrap it around each spring.

Ahalachis

Threads
If it is the springs you could cut a old garden hose lengthwise and wrap it around each spring.

I am going to give it a try this week. If it ends up being the spring hitting the pulley cover I am thinking about taking the cover off and spraying the inside of the cover with plasti dip.
I know the spring is there to put tension on the belts but which belt? Or what is the official name for the spring. The reason I ask is I have seen in other posts that there is a know issue with one of the tensioner springs. My model is HD 52 991164

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

tbzep

Threads
I am going to give it a try this week. If it ends up being the spring hitting the pulley cover I am thinking about taking the cover off and spraying the inside of the cover with plasti dip.
I know the spring is there to put tension on the belts but which belt? Or what is the official name for the spring. The reason I ask is I have seen in other posts that there is a know issue with one of the tensioner springs. My model is HD 52 991164

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/
The tensioner issue is the drive belt tensioner, not the blade tensioners. I had one break at 20 hours. The easy way not to hear your left side rattle is to mow with the chute in the vertical position. It will then rattle loudly and drown out all the other rattles. :wink: I haven't noticed a left side rattle. I need to mow this evening. I'll pay attention and report back if I hear anything from that side.

Ahalachis

Threads
The tensioner issue is the drive belt tensioner, not the blade tensioners. I had one break at 20 hours. The easy way not to hear your left side rattle is to mow with the chute in the vertical position. It will then rattle loudly and drown out all the other rattles. :wink: I haven't noticed a left side rattle. I need to mow this evening. I'll pay attention and report back if I hear anything from that side.

Do you know if the replacement drive belt tensioner spring is different from the one that comes on the mower or is it just replaced with the same spring? Woundering if I should be proactive and have one on hand.

tbzep

Threads
Do you know if the replacement drive belt tensioner spring is different from the one that comes on the mower or is it just replaced with the same spring? Woundering if I should be proactive and have one on hand.
I didn't get a good look at it, but it looked the same from what I could tell. I told them I'd probably be back for another one soon.