Ariens lawn tractor brakes

Bwells

Threads
I just acquired an Ariens lawn tractor, model 936047 but the brakes are kaput. I took the brake assembly off and found what I would consider the actuator pins are frozen and do not move.brake1.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgmodel1.jpg
Notice under the model number 42 GRAR DRIVE. Well it is a 42 GEAR DRIVE. So much for proof reading!
The other pics are the brake "caliper" and I think the two pins should move to push the pad into the disk. I've tried to free them up with WD-40 for a week and no luck. Any thoughts or a link to that specific piece? The Sears parts direct website is worthless for an exploded view of the brake assembly. Thanks, Brian

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
You could try heating the body AROUND the pins with a HEAT-GUN, then tapping the pins or turning them but be careful not to deform them UNLESS you have a NEW set to install. PATIENCE is the key element !!..:thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can try an ultrasonic cleaner similar to the one that you use for cleaning jewelry if your wife has one and it's stainless steel internals you can actually go by cleaner and let it run for a while. Make sure you put her cleaner back in when you're done though.:laughing:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I press them out.
Heat and penetrating fluid some times makes a difference
Just make sure you support the casting bu putting a close fitting socket ead behind the pin whenyou start pressing.
A standard beck vice will do the job.
You only need to crack the corrosion seal, then work the pins back & forward till they come out.
Cleaning the rust off will naturally help.

Bwells

Threads
Thanks for the replies. My dad used to do the heat on the body and Freon or ice cube on the pin. I'll give that a try. I have tapped on the pins just to see if they would move at all. I didn't want to be to aggressive. They are steel and the body is aluminum so I may give the bench vise a try as well.
Is there a website where you can buy parts like this, I haven't been able to find one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The brake is part of the transmission not the mower so you look it up under the maker of the transmission.
Yes they are available for some trannies.

Bwells

Threads
Update: SUCCESS! After a lot of WD_40, phosphoric acid and finally Rust-Solv I figured these pins were coming out today. With the help of a large punch backed up by a deep well socket, I was able to get the pins out. Cleaned up everything real well and put it all back together and I now have brakes. This maybe another yearly maintenance item.
Thanks for your replies and I am good to go or stop.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a dry lubricant like Tri -Sure.
Or any of the cable lubricants for bicycle control cables.
They will not pick up dust.\
And the biggest thing is to blow clean around the tranny with a very long air duster, not a hose or pressure washer.