Briggs Commercial Turf 25hp no spark?

upjeeper

Threads
I installed a Briggs 25hp Commercial (44t977-0012-g1) into my Dixie Chopper last week (previous Generac engine has no compression). I had to get an external solenoid and was able to wire that in, it turns over great, but no spark.
There are three wires (red, grey, black) coming out of the engine. Grey/black say they're for the fuel solenoid, red says it's for the regulator (per a diagram i found online). Red should be 12v switched right?

Any thoughts please / thank you?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the kill wire to the coils.
It can only ever be open circuit or closed circuit to ground and must never ever see battery voltage or the chip inside the coils get fried and they are then trash.
Have a good look at your old engine.
Briggs generally use a short ground wire on the solenoid and a single long power wire going back to the main engine loom plug.
Solenoid don't open = mower won't run.
If you have hooked it up to the kill wire then it will only get ground when the engine is turned off and only get power when engine is turned on so solenoid will never open

Threads
Agreed and 2nd the motion on voltage hitting the coils. They will fry when voltage is applied to them.

upjeeper

Threads
Check the kill wire to the coils.
It can only ever be open circuit or closed circuit to ground and must never ever see battery voltage or the chip inside the coils get fried and they are then trash.
Have a good look at your old engine.
Briggs generally use a short ground wire on the solenoid and a single long power wire going back to the main engine loom plug.
Solenoid don't open = mower won't run.
If you have hooked it up to the kill wire then it will only get ground when the engine is turned off and only get power when engine is turned on so solenoid will never open

thanks. my old engine is a Generac which i understand has a different ignition type.

how do i tell if the coils are fried? is there something i can check with a multi-meter?

with only three wires going to the engine (grey, black, red) which one is the kill wire? i assume red, because grey / black go to the fuel solenoid?

thank you for the advice, i appreciate it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well I did sort of answer this before
Measure the black wire to ground.
If it is open ignition on and closed ignition off then it is the kill wires.
Pull off the blower housing and have a look.
The modules should have a single thin wire .
That is the kill wire & it goes to a wire that is open , ignition on and closed ignition off as it grounds out the coils to stop the mower.
If the Generac had a battery ignition like your car you will have to fit a new switch as that would supply 12V to the coil
If you have hooked a power wire to the coils that are toasted